Monday, January 10, 2022

Learning To Walk Again 1/10/2021

 Good Morning,

The old alarm clock said hello and I almost told it good bye. But I didn't and I will be heading off to work quickly. I have a tight schedule today and so my Door County Cherry Creme Coffee has to travel with me. 

                                                                             

A few years ago I had both of my knee joints replaced. It is a day I will never forget. I am here to say that the surgeries went very well and I am sorry I did not give in and have the repairs done a couple of years earlier. I give credit to God for watching over me and leading me to a world class surgeon. I thank the surgeon and the hospital staff for the great care.

Now the physical therapy was another story. I believe I had some of the best therapists you could want. The one problem I did not anticipate was learning to walk properly. You see, during the time that my knees were degrading I had started to walk in ways that were damaging my hips and back. I was compensating in the wrong way to avoid knee pain. Learning to walk correctly and ride a bike correctly was painful and long process. Eventually, with the help of therapists, I retrained my body to walk correctly. My hips and back felt better and other soreness went away. 

Where is this going? Knees are like life in general. Walk the wrong path and you start compensating for your behavior as the steps of the wrong path keep leading you to degrade your life. In some instances you have gone so far that the damage can't be fixed. You've lost your spouse due to your unfaithfulness. Your kids no longer want you around, they just tolerate you. 

I was told by my surgeon that after seeing my knees from the inside, permanent damage to my hips and back wasn't far away. I needed to make some repairs before it went much further. Even then I still had to change my way of walking and train myself to walk straight, bend my knees and stay on that path unless I falter again. 

Psalm 37:23-24 The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in His way; 24. though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his habd, 

Recovering from paths left best unchosen takes discipline, dedication and desire to leave the past behind and walk in the new direction. 

Take the first step.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment