Saturday, January 8, 2022

A Cup That Runs Over 1/8/2022

 Good Morning,

I am sitting in a cold house right now and the fire place is playing catch up this morning. It won't be too long before the house is toasty warm. I poured a big mug of Door County Breakfast Blend Coffee for myself and it is time to write.

Psalm 23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 

Every morning I pour myself at least one cup of coffee. At my desk where I write about 90% of the time I have a plate (saucer) where my coffee mug rests. What's the use in only filling a mug full 3/4 of the way. I fill it to the top and carry it up the stairs and the only thing that happens is that my mug being so full  overflows on to the saucer. The saucer also holds all of the dribbles I might have and the coffee never hits the wood of the desk. 

My point today with this analogy is to say that as I reflect this morning I can see the blessings of my life in abundance and "my cup" overflows. This saying found in Psalm 23:5 in the Hebrew language just means that I have more than enough for my needs. 

To examine this closely we will look at a pot of soup. If you have a kettle you have one need met. If you had a garden and you grew your vegetables you have land. I purchased half of the vegetables I need for my pot of soup today. So I am blessed with a job. If you have a fire or stove to cook on, another need has been met. If you have a bowl to eat your soup from, you have another blessing. If I share my soup with others, I have friends. My cup overflows. I have more than enough for my needs. 

I think we spend a lot of time just thinking about what we don't have, than praising God for what we do have.  God gives us more than we realize. I will be using my grandmother's big old soup kettle today. Oh! there's one more blessing. I had my grandmother with us long enough for her to share the recipe I will use today. Using the old soup pot also let's me recall fond memories of eating soup with my grandparents, and listening to their stories on how they were blessed to be able to feed themselves during the Great Depression. They said their soup pot was never empty. 

Don't forget the spills of a full cup are placing you in a position to share. 

Have a great day!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment