Saturday, January 29, 2022

A Good Prayer. One That Might Hurt A Little 1/29/2022

 Good Morning,

Saturday is here and my day has some chores in it that can't wait for tomorrow. They must be done today. That being said, with two Springer Spaniels at my feet and a cup of Door County Coconut Cupcakes Coffee next to me, it is time to write.

In my preparations for preaching tonight I ran across a Bible verse that I have read many times. Every time I read it, chills run through me, as I recall the first time I decided to read the psalm and use it as my prayer. 

Psalm 139:23-24 Search me, God, and know my heart, test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Many years ago when I was feeling pretty good about myself and thought I had my spiritual condition on a heavenly road, and on a higher plane than others, I decided to pray this psalm. Now, I still think it is a good idea to do so. But my attitude was way too self confident, one might even say "cocky"  (conceited, or arrogant especially in a bold or impudent way) which when I looked up the definition, the term certainly defined my attitude at the time. 

I wasn't asking God in a humble way to search me and show me anything in my life that I was in need of improving, or removing so that I could serve Him or others in a better way. Thus improving my relationship with Him. I spouted off this passage in an arrogant way, basically challenging God to find anything wrong in me or with me. And I sincerely doubted that He could find anything. My attitude got me slapped around to the point that I was afraid to leave my home. I brought down am epic life storm that still chills me to the bone. 

Luke 22:31-32 "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat, But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail, And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers. 

The details of my "self induced invitation to a sifting" are not important, although I will share them some day.  But know this, I was turned inside out and upside down to the core. When Satan sifts believers, his goal is to damage our faith so much that we are useless to God. He wants us shelved far from the action of the Lord's Kingdom. Therefore, he goes for our strengths, the areas we believe ourselves to be invincible, or at least well protected. And when he succeeds, we are disappointed and demoralized. He almost succeeded.  

So when you pray and ask God to show you what to improve on "ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING". A humble and contrite heart is everything. If you ask with that attitude, the last part of the passage is a plea for God to lead us to and through that improvement. My attitude opened a 10 pound can of "Whoop Butt" on me.

So think through your prayers and check the attitude meter before you ask for the right thing in the wrong way.

Marty




No comments:

Post a Comment