Monday, May 31, 2021

Remembering The Fallen 5/31/2021

 Good Morning,

This morning started with some prayer and a hot cup of Door County Chocolate Raspberry Coffee and once again I am ready to write and share my heart with all of you.

At a very young age I was taught the meaning of the last Monday of the month in May. Memorial Day was a day to remember those who were killed defending our country in battle. I recall the the first trip my parents made with me to the Veterans Cemetery to observe the laying of the wreaths at the reflective pond on Memorial Day.  When the rifles were fired in salute to the fallen, and then taps was played I felt a chill in my bones. Even as a little boy I understood that I had just witnessed something special. 

On the way home from the ceremony, my dad was pretty quiet. Mom asked him if he was ok. His reply was sobering. I knew that Dad had fought in the Korean War but I still can remember his words from that day. "I made it home. Some didn't. We just paid honor to the real heroes. Those who didn't make it home and gave it all on the field of war are the real heroes.". It was a long time before I knew that his next statement came from the Bible. The one and only verse I ever heard him recite. 

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. 

It was a quiet ride home as I took all of what I saw that day into my small mind. World War Two was still fairly fresh in the minds of many. Korea was finished, but very fresh in many  hearts. I watched families weep that day and understood why. So today if you know someone who died in battle, remember their family in prayer. Be respectful this day as many are mourning. Give them peace and love on them if need be. Then look up and be thankful for those who did not make it home. Be thankful if you made it home. Be thankful if you never had to answer the call. 

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment