Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Don't Stop Dating 5/5/2021

 Good Morning,

The sun is coming up and it is a cool morning to say the least. I thought we were done warming up the house but a small fire was needed in the fireplace this morning. The fire goes really well with my hot mug of Door County Raspberry Almond Coffee. 


1Peter 4:8 Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, for love covers a multitude of sins. 

In keeping with my theme of marriage for the last couple of days I want to talk about dating. Once you say "I Do" it doesn't mean you are done with dating each other. We found it extremely important to consistently have a "Date Night". This is especially important once children join the family. You do need some time away from work, chores, and at times the kids. The two of you can concentrate on each other even if it is just for an hour or so. 

I realize that at times, scheduling a date with each other can be a conflict in itself. I recommend a minimum of at least once a month. My wife Rene and I actually strive to make date night a weekly thing.

Date nights need not break the bank account and the more expensive dates should be for special occasions such as anniversaries, birthdays or holidays. They don't always have to be just the two of you.  But I recommend that you try to keep the majority of them just for  you two love birds. 

Money does not need to be an issue. A nice walk in a park or alongside of a lake, taking in a view of God's nature is sufficient. It gives you time together and the ability to talk to one another. Or even steal a kiss. By the way kisses are free.

When we launched into building our home and due to some unforeseen construction issues, money was scarce in our wallets. We actually stopped dating or doing anything outside of building the house. Soon the house was done and then the landscaping was a nightmare. Where we built the house, the city had a tight time frame for completion of sidewalks and landscape. We planted and poured concrete. Two months later, everything died due to a blight that infested the grass, bushes and shrubs. We needed to replant$$$. The stress of the building and landscaping had us both wired tighter than a ball of twine. The lack of a stress less date night was beginning to show in our marriage.

Being short of dollars but at least smart enough to pray I sought God for a solution to our date night. Yes I prayed about a date night on the lighter side of an empty wallet. A walk along the lake at that time might have been too hazardous. One of us would have thrown the other one in the lake.

The major city close to our home always has a bunch of different ethnic festivals. One of the festivals has a fireworks display at the end of each night. We did not have the money to go and purchase tickets, eat there and enjoy the festival. We were trying to stay ahead of going in debt. 

So as I was grocery shopping one day close to the date of Italian Fest I saw a large bag of Cheetos on sale. Diet Dr. Pepper was also on sale. I purchased both and came home and told Rene we were going out on Friday for a date and blue jeans would be fine. That night I packed two lawn chairs, the Cheetos and the Dr. Pepper. We headed to the festival park later than anyone would actually go to attend the festival. At that time of night they weren't charging for parking anymore. So we parked the truck. Pulled out the chairs and our treats and sat in a parking lot. We munched and talked. Rene said, "well we reached a new low in dating expenses. We could of sat at home and ate Cheetos." She hadn't bought in on this date just yet. She started urging me to leave. I refused and said we would wait for the festival to close and we would people watch. I saw her eyes roll. Rene had no idea that we would be watching some of the best fireworks she ever saw. Soon there was a flash in the sky, followed by some loud bangs that shook the parking lot. I forgot to mention that I already knew she loved fireworks. Friends, that date cost us $3.00 back then.  I will go on to say this. It has become an annual date for us. Friends join us now and due to covid we haven't been able to do this for two years. The festival will return next year and Lord willing I already have a hot date!!!

So here's my advice. Keep dating. Only do what you can afford. Pray about your dates. Take God with you. Dating keeps you young. I look forward to seeing my wife's eyes sparkle in the fireworks. I might even steal a kiss. 

Cheetos might want to know that they are a favorite snack for date night. Dr. Pepper was in on the cure for an ailing marriage. I need to give credit where credit is due. Thank you God for a great idea. 

God bless,

Marty 



No comments:

Post a Comment