Monday, May 24, 2021

Look God No Hands 5/24/2024

 Good Morning,

The alarm clock summoned me to a wakened state of mind and now a hot cup of Door County Black and Tan Coffee will finish the chore of waking this bag of old bones up today. 

About a month ago I mentioned a bicycle my parents purchased for me when I was a young boy. I always enjoyed riding that bike up the 35th street bridge going North and once I was at the top I would start out and then stop pedaling. The grade of the bridge would have me flying down that hill in no time flat. I can still feel the breeze on my face. As I grew a little older I became more daring in my triumph down that hill. Before I knew it I was riding down the hill without any hands on the handle bars. Hands free! I felt like I was at the top of the world. No restraints and no brakes, all the way down. Mind you, we didn't wear helmets back then to ride a bike. Somehow we survived without car seats too. Dad or mom's arm was the seatbelt. If we did have a car seat for a child it came with a steering wheel to amuse us. I see the kids are now sitting in car seats until they are 21. 

I am afraid that we have adopted self imposed safety features on our faith and the works faith should produce. We have our hands on the wheel and sit in safety seat when we start to count some costs to our faith. We are always looking for a safety net in case we fall. 

Matthew 19:26 But Jesus looked at them and said," With man this is impossible, But with God, all things are possible. 

I often hear from people when asked to serve in church, some of these answers. "I would but I am not as schooled as others. I would but I am still searching for a church that fits my needs. I would but I am not a people person. I would but I am too busy right now. Maybe next year. I would but God can't usel me. I have too many past sins. I would but that would mean a change in my life. I am not ready for that. Mission trip? No way! I could never go to a foreign land."  Safety belts, safety belts, and more safety belts. Never have these people felt the wind of the Holy Spirit in their face showing them that with God, all things are possible. They put restraints on the Holy Spirit and filter what God has said to them through the filter of safety excuses. They convince themselves that "I can't or God won't" is the answer. 

Friends. Take God literally at His Word and let Him direct your paths. Take the hands off the handle bars and let Him show you great and mighty things. Let the wind of a spiritual awakening blow in your face as you follow God without applying the brakes.

That's a lot for a Monday. 

Marty

3 comments: