Sunday, May 30, 2021

A Working Dog??? 5/30/2021

 Good Morning,

The sunshine is beautiful and the air is just a little crisp this morning. I am pleased with my choice of a morning beverage. Door County Chocolate Raspberry Coffee is just enough to take the chill out of this guy. it is time to write. 

Yesterday our youngest Springer Spaniel Leo head an appointment with the veterinarian and during our discussion after she checked him out she referred to Leo as a "Working Dog". I chuckled about that all the way home, especially when I looked into the back seat of my truck and saw my "Working Dog" sound asleep. Leo and His partner Gibbs are both trained to hunt and they are quite the duo in a field. They hunt hard and fast while flushing  pheasants. They both will hit the icy water to retrieve a downed duck. But I never considered our hunting as work for me or them.

I put that thought to rest for awhile until this morning and then resumed thinking about it again. Their work day in the field is strenuous. They come home tired and sore. They endure some harsh conditions at times. They give it their all right up to the point of being exhausted. They train hard all year long. They are ready to go and travel a long way to the work field or water hole. They are always willing to go and don't need to be coaxed into working. Their payday is a hot bath later, a warm bed by the fireplace, some extra food, the same belly scratching they get on any normal non work day. Just maybe they might get an Egg McMuffin Sandwich on the way home. They receive a lot of praise for a job well done. So I guess they are working dogs. 

I watch our pastors and this old elder serve the Lord with long hours in our church. Many others volunteer weekly to keep the church running. The things they do and I do, I never considered as work for me. I think I can speak for them. They answered a call on their lives sometime in the past to serve God and they "work" hard at what they do. I am grateful for the lives they impact. To be honest I never hear them complain about the "work". I know one thing though, that at the end of their work day there is always this thought.

Matthew 25:23 His Lord said to him, "well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of the lord. 

At the end of the day, what have you done for the Kingdom of God and given your all? Have you done whatever you do, without complaining, not seeking the approval and applause of man? My two dogs consider working for their master a joy and they do it for a little praise and an egg sandwich. They would have done it all anyway even if there wasn't a treat at the end. They just want to spend time with their Master and make him happy. Can you say that to please God is your one desire? 

Have a great day.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment