Thursday, May 6, 2021

Keep The Finances Under Control 5/6/2021

 Good Morning,

My biggest fear today is that there won't be enough hours to accomplish everything I need to do. I will look forward to my drive into work today while sipping on a hot cup of Door County Blueberry Cobbler Coffee. 



One of the many strains on a marriage are the finances. Plenty or lacking, either way can produce strain and stress.

Proverbs 24:27 Put your outdoor work in order and get your fields ready; after that, build your house.

The first one we will look at is when there isn't enough money to go around. It could be due to the loss of a job, or unexpected bills come at you like a storm that is of epic proportions. The first thing for a couple to do is to pray together. Things like this happen and they are unfortunate. Ask God to show you how to get through this tough stretch. I have been on this path myself and it was terrifying to say the least. I was down to my last 7 cans of soup and had just enough money for another week of rent. So I can identify with those who are financially strapped. 

I called my creditors and explained my situation and kept paying a dollar or more whenever I could. Then I looked into any way I could legally earn more money. I also looked at what I owed and why I owed it. I clearly saw my mistakes and vowed not to be in debt like this again. I made some drastic changes in my lifestyle and priorities. Within nine months I could see daylight at the end of the tunnel. I started giving to my church with a happy attitude. 

For couples, the key to finances in the red is communication and ownership. Before a purchase is made discuss these points. Do we or I need it? Do we or I just want it? How will we pay for it? If charging it is the method of payment and it is not an emergency, stop right there and ask why would we want to pay interest on something we can wait for? 

When finances are low, be creative and trim expenses. Cut back until it hurts. Be patient and be fair with one another.

Now when there really is enough money to go around yet you just can't get enough, the answer is more work, advancing your career for more money and spending more time away from each other and the family. This my friends is the sled headed down the slippery slope of destruction. Learn to be content and enjoy one another, your families and friends. No one ever said from their death bed , " I wish I had worked more." 

Finances are an important part of marriage. Big or small talk them over as a loving team. Make out a budget and try to stick to it. Pray for financial leadership from God. Whenever possible save for a rainy day. 

We could all share money saving tips or ideas and horror financial stories. But let's just keep it simple. Finances need attending to! Together.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment