Sunday, December 19, 2021

Make Room For 1 More. 12/19/2021

 Good Morning,

A small fire was lit this morning to take the chill out of the house. The sound of the wood crackling in the fireplace is a welcome addition to my hot cup of Door County Mistletoe Mocha Coffee. 

Christmas isn't always a happy time for a everyone. I recently officiated at a funeral and that family will observe Christmas for the first time without their mother leading the Christmas charge. There are those who cannot make it home for one reason or another and will be alone on Christmas. I think of the healthcare workers who will take a shift or two at the hospitals. They won't be there to see the kids open their presents.

1 John 3:17 But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need , yet closes his heart against him. how does God's love abide in Him?

My wife and I know the healthcare scenario all too well. We both worked on holidays and missed a few family functions. We were proud to do so. Police, fire departments, and the military are also 24/7. I could make a list that would have quite a few entries for those who can't make be home for Christmas or are at home, but alone. 

But, here's my thought for today. Say a little prayer and ask God to show you someone you can open your home to and set that table with an extra plate. Or ask God to show you something you can do for someone working that day. I recall a Christmas day when my wife and her department had been working a lot of extra hours. Christmas day was going to be another long one.  I got out of bed early and started baking ham. I baked some fresh buns, took some potato salad and some baked beans and delivered them to that weary group at the medical center.  Ham and rolls weren't elegant but the smiles showed me they knew I cared. 

You can make a difference in someone's life by including them in your Christmas plans or performing an act of kindness to someone who is working. There is always room for one more at the table as well as in your heart. Don't consider an extra guest as a burden, but consider God blessing you with a guest He sent. 

I promised at the beginning of the month that I would post a different photo each day to show how my wife decorates our house for Christmas like Santa lives here. Every corner and nook and cranny is decorated. I did not realize that even the the spare roll of toilet paper in the 2nd floor bathroom is decorated. I must have been a little more awake this morning! The woman is a Christmas nut!  I love my life!

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment