Sunday, December 12, 2021

If It Weren't For Old Spice? 12/12/2021

 Good Morning,

I sat down this morning with a cup of Door County Christmas Coffee and as their advertisement says "It's Christmas In A Cup". The old coffee is going down very well and my feet are resting on a warm floor, so it's time to write. 

1 Corinthians16:13 Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.


Today I want to talk about what I consider to be the "Good Old Days" of Christmas past. When I was a young boy and quite a few years away from shaving any chin hair, my Dad would take a little of his aftershave and rub some on my face and say "now you smell like a man". For years and years, my Dad and my grandfather used "Old Spice" aftershave. Every Christmas  someone in the family would gift them a bottle which would last until Christmas the next year. I believe my grandmother and mother were the biggest purchasers of the annual Old Spice. I have a hunch that if it weren't for Old Spice I might not be here. Oops this blog cannot be R rated.  When those two were in the room first thing in the morning after shaving, you just knew they were there from the distinct smell of their aftershave. These two were no sissies. They hunted, fished, worked hard and said exactly what was on their minds. 

I was always waiting for that first whisker to appear on my chin so I could shave and douse myself with my first bottle of Old Spice Aftershave.  It finally happened and one morning my dad handed me a new razor and a bottle of the Opposite Sex attractor and said, "have at it boy". Well after nearly needing stitches and being covered in white tissue dots spattered with blood, I applied the aftershave. Oh my oh my! Did that application of aftershave to that butchered skin sting and hurt. I didn't yell, or scream I sucked it up and suffered in silence.  My dad asked me how that felt? He knew that I didn't expect to be tortured by my aftershave. He said. "smelling good for the ladies might be painful, but worth it." I began to consider becoming a monk, with a long beard for awhile. I have the beard, but still need to shave around my neck every day to keep it looking orderly. I apply that same aftershave and it still stings a little.  

What is my point today? Ladies, don't forget to gift your men with some aftershave, and don't buy that stull that smells like women's perfume. Men need to smell like men. Guys, it is also important to be neat and clean for the ladies. On Christmas day, those old boys were up with the kids, and shortly after that, they were clean shaven , dressed in slacks and their best Pendelton  wool shirts, and smelling great. So guys, set the trend and dress up a little on Christmas day and be prepared to carve the ham. 

That's how I remember Christmas day.  Men you still have time to get some Old Spice , but don't be surprised if there is another mouth to feed next year at the Christmas table. 

In keeping my promise to attach a new photo each day of an item that helps to turn our home into the "Christmas House" here it is. This is an old antique sled that we fitted with glass to create a table to hold decorations.


God bless.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment