Wednesday, December 15, 2021

If We Make Through December 12/15/2021

 Good Morning,

This day is shaping up to be a busy one. I am happy to hear the Door County Cherry Creme Coffee brewing in the kitchen. Some times, it is the simple pleasure of a mug of hot coffee that sets off the day.

Many years ago, when I was in the second grade our family hit hard times like I never saw before and don't want to experience again. All I can recall is that medical bills upon medical bills, health issues for my mother and a winter that started in July were about as much as my mom and dad could bear. 

They used to talk at night when my dad would get home from his second shift job. I was supposed to be asleep but couldn't sleep well. Although being very young, I knew the family was in trouble. I remember my dad saying to my mother , "if we get through to the end of the month (December) work is supposed to pick up and there is supposed to be a lot of overtime." I remember praying that night and every night that we wouldn't lose our home and no matter what, we could all stay together.

The furnace was kept at very low temperature and at times I thought I would freeze to death in my own bed. We had food, and my mom and dad could stretch a chicken like no other person could. 

My point is this, we made it and eventually all those bills were paid off and my folks could retire on a lake, as that was their goal. I still wonder though, was it the hard work and extra hours for my dad that turned the corner for them? Or was it the nightly prayer into a tear soaked pillow in an ice cold room a prayer that God answered?  I like to think it was both. I prayed and my dad worked hard. 

James 5:16 The effective fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 

1 Timothy 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for the members of  his own family, he is worse than an un believer. He has denied his faith.

In keeping with my promise to display a photo of some of the Christmas decorations my wife has displayed in the "Christmas House" here is another one.  This little tree is at our front door and greets everyone as they enter.



God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment