Monday, March 22, 2021

Setting Things Straight For The Future 3/22/2021

 Good Morning,

A hot cup of Door County Vanilla Cappuccino Coffee awaits me this morning. Monday came in like a wrecking ball and it's time to write.


Recently I came face to face with the fact that at my age I am a lot closer to the grave than the cradle. I am not hung up on my mortality now, but it is time for me to make sure that if something happens to me my wife Rene doesn't have a mess on her hands. I must confess that I have a lot of stuff. Last night I spent about three hours labeling some of my keepsakes that I inherited or purchased over the years. Each one is now assigned to someone and that makes it easy for Rene to disperse them in the event that I go first. The labels also give our daughter clear instructions on who gets these items should Rene and I over eat on gnocchi and blow up!

John 19:26-27 When Jesus say His mother there, and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to here. "Woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, Here is your mother." and from that time on, the disciple took her into his home.

We of course have a current will that gives everything to each other or to our daughter when the time comes. Everyone should have a will. But these personal effects have their own set of marching orders. 

My point today is not to be morbid but to emphasize that some day we won't be here. This happens to old and young alike. Do you have the things that are important to you accounted for? Young parents. Who gets the kids? Should you both go, will grandma or your brother have to go to court to obtain your children? Should they be the ones to raise them? Uncle Joe might be a great guy when he is sober. Should he get the kids? What about your Christian beliefs? Will the kids get raised in Christianity? Maybe the kids should go to good friends who will love them also, but raise them in the faith of Jesus. Just imagine the court battle when your friends try to collect the kids without everyone knowing your intentions and without legal paperwork. Jesus chose faith over relatives.

Again once more. We never know the day we will be called home to heaven. Don't wait to set your affairs in order. You will be missed by your friends and family who love you. But at least leave them some Tylenol for the headache they will have trying to settle your estate if you didn't have it ready for them. 

Notice Jesus, while hanging on the cross settled who should care for His mother. And she didn't go to His siblings. At that time none of his siblings professed to be believers. He left her to John, one of the apostles, (a believer) . Pray through these things and let God show you who and what they get after you are gone, especially the kids or the care of your spouse. Jesus chose faith over relatives.

Food for thought. 

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment