Thursday, March 18, 2021

Ain't That A Shame? 3/18/2021

 Good Morning,

I awoke and it is a pleasure to smell the Door County Country Morning Blend Coffee making it's way to my nostrils.

Ephesians 5:4 Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk, nor crude jokes, which are out of place. 

Yesterday I spent some time with my wife Rene looking at antiques in Kewaskum Wisconsin. We haven't gone anywhere for a long time. We figured, that since we were venturing out on a weekday the place would be safer to navigate the covid nightmare. We were right in our thinking and there wasn't much more than us in the store.


I did have an elderly man approach me and ask if I was going to purchase the plate I had in my hand. I replied jokingly and said "no. My wife is purchasing it. I am just guarding it with my life."  He replied as if talking to himself. "Ain't that a shame. A guy isn't even safe in his own home. He has to be afraid to lose a plate." Mister he said. " I can help if you are afraid to lose that plate. Don't worry. This is a safe place and if it's your wife you fear, tell the authorities and get her and you some help." 

I almost peed with trying not to laugh. He was totally serious. I thanked him for his concern and assured him that I was ok and safe. He let me know that he would watch out for me while I was there. 

Here's the problem I spoke foolishly and got myself into a jam. Foolish talk might just be joking to us, but some people might take it seriously. I felt bad as the guy eyeballed Rene from across the store. I think he was measuring her up to see if he could handle her if she attacked me. He formed the wrong opinion of my meek and mild wife, just from a joke and foolish talk.  Oops!

So today, know your audience, Measure your words and try to reduce the sarcasm. The lesson was learned yesterday. When you go into a room of different people, you just never know what you are going to get,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment