Wednesday, July 1, 2020

When The Ambulance Needs To Pass 7/1/2020

Good Morning,

This day looks to be a hot one again and I can't help but think that I can do better than I have been doing keeping myself hydrated. There is a hot cup of Door County Black and Tan Coffee sitting next to me as well as our two sleepy dogs.


Last night as I was traveling home from our Bible study at church I could see in my rear view mirror some emergency lights flashing behind me. The lights were still a good piece away from me, but they were gaining ground every second. From the color and the spread of the lights I could tell that the vehicle coming up on me was an ambulance. With plenty of time to spare I pulled over to the shoulder of the road and waited for the ambulance to pass. I was always taught to pull over for emergency vehicles. But the vehicles in front of me did not see it that way. They could have moved over but they didn't. I assumed that the drivers were totally ignorant or they were just mean spirited people. The ambulance had to pull around them slowly at a stop sign as they made an east turn. By this time I had caught up to them a little and my heart sank as they turned onto the street where we live. I prayed "Dear God, not our home." It wasn't Rene who was in distress, but the ambulance was for one of our neighbors to the North of us. I stopped and prayed for our neighbor and that gave me some peace, but yet I was a little miffed yet at those who would not pull over and impeded the speed at which the ambulance could get to the people needing help.

Here's where it got tough. I also prayed for the people who wouldn't pull over. I prayed that somehow they would take to heart what they had done. I wanted them to be ticketed for the crime.  But then God whispered in my ear. Keep praying for the neighbors. Leave the others to Me. You are all worked up and you can't do anything about it. Place your energy in your neighbors. I continued to pray for the neighbors and let my mind rest.

Psalm 37:7-9
7. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.

8. Cease from anger and forsake wrath, it only cause harm and leads to evil.

For those who are evil will be destroyed, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.

I learned a valuable lesson. I idolized myself by taking on God's job, thinking about how those bad drivers should be punished, instead of practicing compassion on my neighbors.

I will say this. When God speaks he doesn't beat around the bush.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment