Sunday, July 19, 2020

Summertime Blues 7/19/2020

Good Morning,

The alarm clock had to wake this boy up this morning. Normally I am awakened by two hard charging English Springer Spaniels but one is away for some training and I believe the other one developed a little laziness and decided to sleep in. I didn't even hear the Door County Vanilla Cappuccino Coffee start to brew.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 Give thanks in every circumstance, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Yesterday was  strange for some reason for me. Something was missing and I just couldn't put my finger on it. The day just seemed out of sorts. My chores went well, no one in the family was sick, the washing machine didn't spill water out of it. I had an encounter in the parking lot of a grocery store in a good way. I was able to help a disabled lady load her groceries into her car and pray with her in the parking lot. Even that is not abnormal for me. Something was missing and I just couldn't put my finger on what it was.


Last night while watching the local news show, the weather portion showed some storms rolling into the Northern part of our state. My wife remarked that some people we know were camping up there. Rene said, "They might be in for some serious fireworks" meaning that they could see some high winds and experience a thunder and lightning display.   I knew what had been bothering me all day right after she spoke.

This weekend every summer for many years was our annual trip to the shore of  Lake Michigan where we would picnic and watch the fireworks show that was launched at 10:15 PM by one of the ethnic festivals.  They are awesome fireworks, but what was best about the night is that we go after church and up to 140 people would go with us. We would grill some hot dogs or something and everyone would bring a dish to pass. It was always a great time. 

But this year the Covid virus closed down the festivals and killed the fireworks night. I didn't realize how much that night meant to me. We always had too much food and one of the great things about it was that there was always someone who visited us at our picnic site.  Now and then it would be someone in need of a meal. They would leave our little picnic well fed and prayed for. We extended the love of Jesus to many who stopped by.

So I guess, the summer time blues kicked in a little for me. I am not saying feeling disappointed is wrong, but I decided that I won't let that happen to me again. I will rejoice in the fact that since 1994, Rene and I have been watching those fireworks and eating some Cheetos as well as other things. I will rejoice in the fact that we shared many moments of fun down at the lakefront with friends and family.

I decided that I will look forward to the next time we all can gather, but most of all I will be thankful for 26 years of fun.

Don't let the blues kick in my friends. But kick the blues right out of your heart and minds.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment