Monday, July 27, 2020

Being Prepared Just In Case 7/27/2020

Good Morning,

I just sat down at my desk after giving our two dogs some time outside. My mug is filled with Door County Lemon Shortbread Cookie Coffee. The house is filled with the aroma of the coffee and some cinnamon buns that were baked earlier.


Philippians 2:4 Not looking to your own interests, but each of you to the interest of others. 

Last night I took our dogs Leo and Gibbs for a swim. There is a pond not to far from home and with the weather being as hot as it is the dogs have not been running much outside. I thought the swim was a pretty good idea. We arrived at the pond and within 2-3 minutes the sky changed colors and a fast moving storm was headed our way. The swim was going to be cut short. Leo was out on the pond retrieving a fake duck and Gibbs was on land returning one to me. The wind whipped up and it was just time for safety's sake to call it quick. I whistled Leo in and he came running. The three of us left in the truck and headed home. Then the rains came and they were a welcomed gift to gardens and lawns.

So all seemed well in our home. As usual for us, our basement sump pump kicked in and was keeping our basement dry.  You can hear it when it kicks in. Later around 9 PM something just wasn't right. Then I heard the sump pump kick in and I knew what it was. We have twin sump pumps installed in our basement. One is always in the back up position and will kick in if the lead pump fails. I have witnessed them both kick in when the 100 year rain appears and the creek out back turns into the Mississippi River.  They both have a distinct sound. What was wrong is that the lead pump failed and the secondary one had to kick in. I do exercise both pumps about four times a year to make sure the secondary one works and can carry the load in the event the lead pump fails.

We keep a third new pump on the shelf to be changed out in just these situations. Once the blog is completed I will take on that task and I would assume withing an hour we will be back to normal.

Here is my point for the day. We learned the hard way what it was like to have only one pump and then have it fail. Of course we experienced a wet basement. But that still isn't the point I want to make.

In life we all get accustomed to someone taking the lead in many things. It could be leading the family. It could be leading and planning the duck hunt. It could be the faithful leader of the Bible study. But there comes a time when those in the family, the duck hunters, or the church are needed to step up and take the place of  the leader. We can't always be the kid who goes to basketball practice, does all that is required at practice and when called on won't go into the game. I have never seen a player take a shot from the bench.  We are always preparing ourselves for some type of lead role, whether temporary or permanent.  Be prepared in any season to step up and do the job when called on. Our secondary pump kicked in automatically and I am thankful it didn't debate and wait for the third pump on the shelf to kick in and save the day.  Strange metaphor I know! But it's the best I can muster up today.

Food for thought.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment