Friday, July 12, 2024

Some Things Are More Than A Good Thing 7/12/2024

 Good Morning,

My day has begun with a hot cup of Door County Candy Cane Coffee and some prayer. I have a small project ahead of me and the sooner I start it, the sooner it will be finished.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 Love is patient, and kind, love does not envy or boast, it is not arrogant 5. or rude. It does not insist on its own way, is not irritable or resentful; 6. It does not rejoice at wrong doing, but rejoices with the truth. 7. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 

A long long time ago I learned the lesson of "You get what you pay for". If you desire quality you might have to pay more for whatever you are purchasing. I learned that lesson from my grandfather. He always said that most jobs require some foot work and others have you on your feet for the entire day. "Since you will be walking a lot and standing on your feet, always, always purchase good footwear." 

The second step in buying a good work boot or hunting boot was to take care of them. As I write I am wearing a leather work boot that was purchased twelve years ago. They are worn but still usable. And I might add that they are comfortable. 

The third step in taking care of your expensive purchase is to use a leather treatment, oil that is recommended and works well to preserve the leather and waterproof the boots. I use the same brand that grandpa used all the time. My earliest memory of it was around 1964. I have never used anything else. It works well and I am faithful to those who have served me well and still purchase that brand.


The container has changed through the years but the contents are the same. My point for the day is this. When I oil up my boots, my mind wanders to the back entry of my grandparents home. In the entry room there was all kinds of things hanging on the wall, used for cooking, or ridding the back yard of an occasional varmint. On a shelf was an old rag, an old tooth brush and a can of boot oil. The rag and tooth brush were essential in sealing your boots. One day when it was time for me to clean and apply some sealant, Grandpa handed me a pail and told me to go out back and pick a bowl of raspberries. I asked what we were going to do with them. He said, "Grandma likes those berries. And as important as it is to seal your boots, it is also important to preserve relationships with a little sweetness . Remember that Sonny and go pick grandma some berries."

I agree, now and then you just have to apply the sealant of love and sweetness to your relationship with your spouse, children and others. A lesson learned from the back shed! A bowl of kindness goes a long way!

Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment