Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Love Comes In An Aluminum Can 7/10/1024

 Good Morning. 

This day began with a some prodding to get out of bed. I have some things to take care of today and they can't wait. So I just poured myself a hot cup of Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee and it is time to write. 

John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another 

Love comes in all different styles and forms. I am truly convinced that God can take anything and turn it into good, if the heart is in the right place. 

We attend church with a family and have known them for a long time. Their oldest daughter has a brain tumor and is fighting it with everything she has. What a fighter!

My wife Rene has been helping the Men's Ministry and our Saturday night worship members, collect aluminum cans for a long time,  They bring the cans to church and Rene takes them home, removes the pull tabs to be redeemed with another charity and then crushes them. Her  reason for crushing them is that they do not take up excess garage space until she cashes them in. The money has at times supported mission trips for teenagers, food for families, water for the people of the Ukraine and other good causes. 

Once we heard that this young lady was fighting off that tumor and how expensive treatment and other items were for the family it was decided to help them out with the money from the cans. Several people keep Rene crushing cans on a regular basis. Some folks have handed her cash and told her to add it to the can money. Two fellas from our church load bags of cans into my truck almost weekly. The money taken in from the aluminum isn't a fortune, but it comes straight from the hearts of all those who save a can, pick one up on the ground, or ask others to save theirs for our fighting friend. 

Someone recently told me that he just doesn't see people helping others anymore. I think he should open his eyes, because I see plenty of people extending kindness to others.

If I ever want to see love in action, I walk out to the garage and hear the crunch of the aluminum in the can crusher. I hear my wife singing along with her IPOD and to me the music is heavenly. Off key as it is, it is still beautiful to see so many get behind Crusher Rene and her band of collectors. One other benefit from the crushing of cans is Rene's left hook from her can crushing gun of an arm. When she says "we are going to the recycling center. " I reply "Yes Mam"

God bless.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment