Saturday, July 6, 2024

Pulling The Weeds 7/6/2024

 Good Morning,

It is already shaping up to be a nice day as far as the weather goes. I salute this day with a hot mug of Door County Mistletoe Mocha Coffee and it is time to write. 


Our flower gardens are in full bloom right now except for some late summer perennials. And with every successful garden there is a lot of work that goes into it. My wife Rene keeps the flower beds hydrated and tilled through the spring summer and fall. She enjoys the gardening except for weed control. Rene is not one to use commercial weed preventer although I am convinced it is easier than pulling out the weeds. It is hard work removing the weeds before they get too deep with their roots. 

Last night as I was refinishing some wood projects in the garage. Rene came in with a strange look on her face. I asked her if she was ok and she replied, "yes I am just hot and tired. This weather has been good for plant growth and the weeds aren't really shy about showing up". I could see that she was tired and was ready to try the weed preventer in the garden. I was very happy to help her out and I had that stuff applied in a short time. I think the best way to be rid of weeds is to never allow them to even start. 

You can apply this thought also to life. The best way to not give into temptation is to kill it before it takes root and causes a ruckus in your life. I believe in Scripture memorization as a repellent to temptation and a fall from grace. Scripture is a gun to the head of temptation and sin. When tempted, you pull out that spiritual gun and kill it. 

Psalm 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart, so that I might not sin against me. 

An example could be a person who struggles with anger issues and needs to stay calm. One verse that I would recommend to memorize would be, Psalm 37:8 Cease from anger and forsake wrath, it only causes harm.

The memorized verse would remind you that your anger is going to take you into trouble or harm. Bringing the Scripture in, sets the tone to defeat the situation. God's word never returns without accomplishing what He sent it out to do.  Isaiah 55:11 It does not come back voided. 

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than a double edged sword, it penetrates even to divide soul and spirit, joints and marrow, it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 

James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. resist the devil and he will flee from you.

You wouldn't use a squirt gun to battle a raging fire. Don't play around with temptation. Kill it before it does damage to you and those around you. 

Marty





No comments:

Post a Comment