Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Sending The Kids To Camp 4/17/2024

 Good Morning,

The weather here in our part of the world changed drastically last night. The last few days have been warm and sunny. I find myself this morning cold and it is damp outside. My Door County Highlander Grog Coffee is now warming me up and waking me up. It is time to write.

Proverbs 22:6 KJV Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it.


Throughout the years, my wife and I have been blessed enough to have a jobs that allowed us to be able to invest in our retirement. I always said that we were investing in our future. I did volunteer my service and was a camp assistant at a Christian camp for kids a few times in my younger days. My friend and I also drove kids from our church ten hours away so they could attend a camp for a week. 

Of course the agenda for the kids during camp included swimming, sports, crafts, and of course life values and faith. Troubled kids had access to counseling during the week and the ability to confide in volunteers who gave their time to "invest in our future".

I would listen to the kids in our youth group as they spoke about the great times they had and how the experiences were some of the best they had ever experienced. 

More and more camps are closing due to financial woes or lack of volunteers. If you want to invest in "your future", consider sending a donation to a camp of your choice, or donating some time to help. One family from our church donates much of their summer to preparing the food in a camp for kids. They are investing in our future. If one kid learns to stay out of trouble, or spends a week that changes the course of their life for good, it is an investment that pays dividends into eternity.

Here's a thought. Churches, spend mega dollars on coffee and donuts. Why not take what is spent for a month or two and have a the dollars go to sending the kids to camp?

Oh yes, this is food for thought!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment