Saturday, March 26, 2022

Some Of The Best Medicine Is Home Made Recipe Included. 3/26/2022

 Good Morning,

Saturday is here and I am happy to see it. I have sitting next to me a steaming cup of Door County Chocolate Cherry Coffee. The aroma is good and strong.

Isaiah 55:2 Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare. 

Last night I took three chicken thighs and placed them in a soup kettle with the rest of items needed to make a batch of chicken soup. Before too long I had a pot of soup that would make anyone proud. It would be easy to open a can of soup and call it a meal, but nothing in a can, compares to what can be made at home with some time and some love. 

It is just my wife and I at home now and I do about 95% of all the cooking. I consider whoever dines with me as worthy of my best. Although chicken soup is a nice, yet a humble supper, it will warm my wife up tonight, taste good and be a comfort to both of us. 

So, whenever possible do your best to make it at home. "Homemade" is medicine for the soul. Most of the recipes I use come from cook books we have purchased. I like to use The Taste Of Home books that were gifted to me. Today I have included my favorite chicken soup recipe for you.

Have a great day and be blessed. 

Marty

Ingredients For The Ultimate Chicken Soup

  • 2-1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 10 cups chicken broth
  • 4 celery ribs, chopped
  • 4 medium carrots, chopped
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3 cups uncooked kluski or other egg noodles (about 8 ounces)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • Optional: Additional salt and pepper

Directions

1.    Pat chicken dry with paper towels; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches, skin side down; cook until dark golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; remove and discard skin. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons.

2.    Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Add celery, carrots, bay leaves and thyme. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, 25-30 minutes.

3.    Transfer chicken to a plate. Remove soup from heat. Add noodles; let stand, covered, until noodles are tender, 20-22 minutes.

4.    Meanwhile, when chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat into bite-sized pieces. Return meat to stockpot. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. If desired, adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves.

For the broth, I make my own and freeze it. When I desire chicken salad I will boil some chicken thighs and save the broth for soup time. If you like a richer broth, add two bullion cubes to the pot. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment