Tuesday, March 15, 2022

One Wish. And It Was To Go To Church 3/15/2022

 Good Morning,

I will be leaving soon for work and I will enjoy some time behind the wheel with a travel mug of Door County Highlander Grog Coffee at my side. 

Luke 2:49 And he said to them, "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house? 

I want to say that we have two heroes who live next door to us. Our neighbor Eddie is suffering from ALS. He has been in and out of the hospital lately and times are tough. His wife Donna is by his side through thick and thin. She works tirelessly to take care of Eddie. 

It just so happened that as things were getting worse for Eddie, a few changes in medications at least got Eddie feeling a little bit better. As I was talking to Donna in the yard last week, she mentioned that Eddie would like to try and go to church. Now remember I said he was a little bit better. He still can't move his arms, his legs are week and his head needs to be held up and moved so he can see. Now just a tiny improvement in that lifestyle gave him the motivation to want to attend church. 

So on Saturday night Donna and my wife Rene got Eddie down a set of stairs, loaded him into Rene's car and packed a motorized wheelchair into the trunk and brought Eddie to church. Eddie spoke in church, thanking everyone for their prayers and for some of the kind actions like meals and gift cards that the folks had given them. We belong to a wonderful church and that Saturday night flock has some of the kindest people in it. 

After church Eddie and Donna chatted with a few folks and soon enough it was time for the ladies to pack them up and return Eddie to their home. You could see that the whole event had tired him out. Once home, the ladies took Eddie in and I helped get him up the stairs. 

My point is this. Given a very small improvement in pain and muscle atrophy and seizures, all my neighbor wanted to do was to attend church. 

I have to ask, would that be your choice? What keeps you from church attendance? What dang lazy excuse could we even begin to think warrants staying home. Yes, there are shut ins and those hospitalized and they have good excuses. But I need to say this. Sleeping in, cold weather, a long work week, are not excuses for not attending church and being part of the body of Christ. 

I said it and will defend it. There is a time and place for a video production of church. But most people do not qualify as needing it. It's time to return to church in person and not use lame excuses for not being there to worship and serve. 

Have a great day. I am proud to say that we have two fighters living next to us. 

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment