Saturday, March 19, 2022

Laurie And Her Bumbershoot 3/19/2022

 Good Morning, 

I woke up this morning and I hit the floor running. W are assisting to host a program at our church on gun safety. It looks to be well attended and it will also promote conceal carry which is legal in our state. 

1 Timothy 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. 

My little sister while in grade school went to school each day armed with her "Bumbershoot" which is slang for umbrella. She always carried her rain protection with her for the walk home from school. She also referred to it as her bumbershoot. Where she learned that slang version of umbrella I will never know. Her bumbershoot had about a three inch spike at the top.

We had very little trouble back in those days and the streets were usually safe to walk and free of trouble. But every now and then as we walked by the Tasty Freeze on Lincoln Avenue a few of the local wanna be gang members or bullies would appear and want something from you to have passage on their sidewalk. They pretty much left us alone, until one day when they blocked the sidewalk and wanted 25 cents from us as a toll. We two did not have two nickels to rub together, let alone 50 cents. So as I started to walk around these clowns one, of them punched me from behind. As I turned to see how this was going to go and decide which one of the village idiots would receive my wrath, I heard a kind of scream. I was concerned for my sister and knew I could not take on the five of these clowns, but one was going to get it for sure. My little sister decided to unleash an attack on one of those kids with her bumbershoot and she had already drawn blood. Like Zoro she turned to one of the other boys and went after number two. I was pummeling the one who originally popped me. Laurie opened up a can of whoop butt on number two and almost hit an eye with her barrage .Those three left crying!

The last two decided that 50 cents wasn't worth everyone hearing about how they got whooped by a second grader and her umbrella. 

My point for today is this. Family needs to protect family and sometimes you just have to fight. Laurie looked at me and asked " do you think we are in trouble?" I replied, "No, they started it". Laurie grinned and said' 'But we finished it". I thoroughly support self defense and I have learned how to use a gun safely, and hit what I am shooting at. I still believe that one should never start a battle, but if you or your family are in danger, you fight to win.

Hat's off to Laurie. She and her bumbershoot saved me from taking a royal butt kicking. But that's what family does. 

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment