Saturday, October 24, 2015

Will Work For Food 10/24/2015

Good Morning,

The weather is just right for duck hunting this morning. My Thermos Bottle is filled with Door County Chocolate Cherry Coffee. The coffee should keep me alert and warm this morning.

Yesterday I drove past a man who was standing on the median of an intersection holding a sign that said he was willing to work for some food. I drove through but stopped on the other side and waved for him to come over. He was about 35 years old and had four limbs. I told him that I had a couple hours of work that I needed some help with and wondered if we could strike a deal. I was willing to pay cash or give him some food at our table or send him off with food. He asked where it was and I told him it was a mile away and that I would drive him both ways. He then asked what kind of work I had. I explained that I could use some help raking leaves. I asked him if he was feeding a family or if it was just for him. He explained that he was traveling through to Minnesota and really did not have any family. He said that he had lost his job and was headed to Minnesota on a promise of a job. Truckers had been giving him rides from Indiana thus far. So I said cash, a meal, or food to go? He preferred half in cash and the rest in sandwiches or snacks for his back pack. I agreed and asked how much cash he would be expecting for his labor. He said he would require $75.00, half in cash and half in gas cards or McDonalds cards. The deal already started to change. He then stopped and asked me if I could make it an even $100.00 for his time. I told him that I was really pushing my limit at $75.00 for two hours of easy work. I explained that I thought we had already secured a deal. The young man then told me that he really wasn't used to working for less than $50.00 per hour and the fact that I was wearing a tie and driving a large truck told him that I could probably pay a little more.
I was taken back a little at that statement and decided it was best to back out. Obviously we were not on the same page with this work contract. I decided to buy my way out at a cheap price. I offered him ten dollars labor free and he took it and walked away. As He walked away I saw him place the ten dollars into a roll that had quite a few dollars rolled up in it. I had just been scammed. I walked away smiling, knowing that his laziness and greed were not on my head. I prayed for him.
Later I headed back out to pick up a sandwich for Rene and I saw that the local police had this same man handcuffed and were loading him into a police vehicle. My prayers had been answered. I had prayed that he would not be stuck in the forthcoming rain, he would be warm, and he would be fed. Wow! Was that prayer answered.

2 Thessalonians 3:10English Standard Version (ESV)
10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

I always believe in offering work if someone is capable and they are in need. I believe in a fair wage for their toil. But I also highly believe in the above verse. Offer work when you can. Most people are happy to earn what you can offer instead of receiving pity. Work with them if you can. Treat them well. But beware of those who look for handouts and won't work when they actually could.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment