Monday, August 31, 2015

Grand Parents Love to Love 8/31/2015

Good Morning,

I can't imagine starting this day without a cup of Door County Highlander Grog Coffee. Tomorrow will start the fall as far as I am concerned and the fall flavors will appease my pallet and decorate this page. Look out fall here I come.

My love for the fall started a long time ago when I was just ten years old. At that time I started playing organized football and was also allowed to go along on hunting outings with my grandfather, my dad, aunts, uncles and cousins. Nothing like some grouse, pan fried and slow roasted in gravy with a pile of mashed potatoes on the side.

Psalm 92:14 They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green,

All four of my grandparents were still alive back then. The annual trek for deer hunting happened later in the fall and that time spent with my relatives is priceless to me. Many of those from so long ago have gone on now to be with the Lord.
What I remember is the love that my grandmothers handed out. One would hold Thanksgiving dinner very late in the day so the deer hunters could hunt all day. Her patience was endless, because we always came in later than we said we would. My other grandmother would plan a big Italian dinner later that week and you could not escape the hugs, sloppy kisses, and pinched cheeks. Her meatballs were to die for. What I wouldn't do for just one meatball and some sore cheeks.

I came to the conclusion that grandparents just love to love. I see grandparents assisting their kids by helping to raise the grand kids these days because of economical issues or for other reasons. In the time of their later seasons in life, they sacrifice unconditionally to help. I have a few friends who are doing so right now. That is love in the purest form. Your blessings are in heaven.
The sad part of this is that we have a shortage. I don't think that there are always enough grandparents to go around. I see way too many older folks sitting on their backsides not willing to get involved in the lives of their own grandchildren, nor especially someone else's kids. And then I hear that they are lonely. This kind of thinking belongs in the dung heap. You know kids that could use some attention. Go to their football game. The walk from the car to the bleachers is good exercise. Go to a musical concert at the grade school for another. Love to love, even if they aren't yours. It expands your heart's capacity to love. That's what old folks do. It has a benefit too. When you get to the point that you just can't do it anymore, you won't be lonely. They make sure to remember you in return. You reap what you sow. Keeping in touch with your own grandchildren or some others that you unofficially adopted keeps you young.

So dear friends, don't waste your later years on yourselves. Make a kids day, love them, pinch their cheeks and smother them with meatballs. You will be better for it.

Can't wait to see the grandson again! Miss you Dom.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment