Saturday, August 29, 2015

I Dreamed I Was There In Hillbilly Heaven 8/29/2015

Good Morning,

Just sitting at my desk this morning in the peace and quiet, listening to the much needed rain fall lightly on the roof. Today will be a busy one again. Much to do and not enough time to do it. So I will enjoy this short time of respite with my cup of Door County Red Velvet Mocha.



1 Thessalonians 4:13-18    
But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

I don't place a lot of stock in dreams. But some dreams are just nice to have. You know, those dreams that you just want to last a little longer? Last night was one of those nights.

My aunt had a small place on a lake in upper Michigan. As a matter of fact I had two aunts that had places on that lake and my dad still lives across the lake from those two spots. Yearly my mom's family would gather grandmas, aunts, uncles, cousins in-laws and outlaws and camp out there. They named the spot Hillbilly Heaven. I believe the sign is still there. There would be swimming, fish fries, bonfires, an occasional adult beverage, well maybe more than an occasional one, and singing around the fire. Many, now have gone on to be with the Lord. I didn't attend those reunions too often, but I made it a couple of times. It seems as if work would always be in the way or I just did not make the effort to get there. Young and foolish were two traits that would often set my priorities.

But last night I dreamt  of one of the first ones that was held and  one where I was able to take part. In my dream I could see all of their faces, one by one. I could smell the smoke from the fire. There was more people than what were usually there. Some folks would just come to visit Hillbilly Heaven for a few hours and then go home. But, they made the annual trek there to see friends and loved ones, even if it was for just a few hours. In my dream I could hear them singing Patsy Cline's song "I fall to pieces" and "The Tennessee Waltz".  As I write this morning, a couple of hay fever induced tears roll down my cheeks. ( Real men don't cry. They have hay fever.)  In my dream, sitting on a flat bench was a guy in a red flannel shirt wearing a baseball cap. You guessed correct. That guy was me. I missed too many of those reunions. But there's one that I won't miss. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.

Some glad morning I'll fly away and what a great reunion that will be.


Have a blessed day. Love to you all.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment