Sunday, August 30, 2015

Lydia And The Big Dogs 8/30/2015

Good Morning,

A dreary misty morning is helping to fill the rivers and lakes near my home. It is much needed and I am not complaining at all. Goose season starts this week and we need some water to float these two boats of mine. The coffee pot greeted me this morning with a cup of Door County Cherry Crème. Life is pretty good.

1 Timothy 4:12 (NKJV)  Take Heed to Your Ministry
12 Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Last night was one of those "you had to be there to believe it nights". We held our monthly prayer service, which is a group of people who just spend  time sharing prayer requests and then praying for them. It is usually a very Spirit filled night. I look forward to the last Saturday of the month to come and prayer night is always a highlight of my month.

Let me put it this way. I love to duck hunt and everyone knows it. Most duck hunters have a dog who retrieves their downed fowl. The number one and most popular dog for this type of hunting is Labradors. I do not own one but have hunted over many fine Labs. I have always owned English Springer Spaniels who are more known for their upland game prowess, not for charging through swamps and swimming across lakes. They on average can be 60-70 pounds lighter than some Labs and are definitely shorter in stature. I always tell my little guy Gibbs that when we go out with my Lab owning buddies that he has to put his "Big Boy Pants" on because he is barking with the big dogs today. Gibbs holds his own and has brought back his share of ducks and geese. He has to work a little harder than they do but he does just fine. Besides that, he always fits in my blind, to lay next to me for warmth. He doesn't need his own camouflage dog condo.



Well last night our prayer group was bigger than normal so we broke into two groups. I headed off to a corner of the church with a few men and then I looked down and saw Lydia. She is the seven year old daughter of one of our pastors. She left the other group where her two teenage siblings and dad had decided to stay. She was the only female in our group and definitely the only child. She pulled right up on to a chair in the circle we created. I welcomed her and said I guess you came to "bark with the big dogs tonight". She smiled and then we started. We asked her for the first request and let Lydia go in the "ladies first" way we do things. She requested prayer for a very ill nine year old. Well the  guys started to pray and it was at that moment, I knew the Holy Spirit just let loose, and the meeting was going to be Spirit charged. We were in for a ride. As the prayer for the nine year old and gone full circle Lydia began to pray. Her prayer was eloquent, right from the heart and definitely not what we were expecting. For some reason we usually all bow our heads during prayer and I even close my eyes while praying. As the night continued and  the prayer time grew sweeter by the minute I opened my eyes to see the reactions to the other guys when Lydia would pray. I saw some tears in their eyes, total amazement in their expressions and also great joy. God used this little lady to bless us and humble us at the same time. I can speak for the rest of the guys and say that we don't know what happened in the other group, but we know for sure the Holy Spirit was in our midst.

Matthew 19:13-14 (NKJV)Jesus Blesses Little Children
13 Then little children were brought to Him that He might put His hands on them and pray, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Friends do not count out the little ones. I can tell you of many seven year olds that would have fallen asleep or disrupted the prayer meeting. I know of many parents who don't come to prayer service because we don't offer child care. But if a child comes to pray, do not count them out and look down on them. You might be teaching them, or you might be there to be taught. Really, aren't we all just children to God?

Have a great day!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment