Saturday, July 12, 2014

Which Way To Turn? 7/12/14

Good Morning,

There is a little fog in the area this morning. Not only is the fog on the ground but also in my head today. So my cup of Door County Cherry Crème Coffee needs to help clear my head. Lots to do today.

Yesterday I promised to write about making decisions. I wrote about checking the impact your decisions could have personally, locally, and eternally for yourself and others. It would be so easy if we could just walk outside and speak with a burning bush like Moses did. We have to be patient and let the Lord direct in his time. He will speak through Scripture, prayer and others. That leads me to the next point. I know the Lord's voice. But even at my age there are times when I can get confused and have my own voice be heard over God's.

The counsel of wise friends and mentors is a blessing.
Spiritually mature friends and mentors can be wonderful resources in decision making. Consult wise believers about major life choices such as choosing a spouse, beginning a new or risky business venture, or moving across the country for a job opportunity.

When things get that confusing I recommend seeking other Christian counsel. Now, seek someone you know that is grounded in the Lord and who will tell you things you need to hear and won't just agree with you to be popular with you.

Psalm 1:1 says, “How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked.” Sometimes our friends couldn’t be described as “wicked,” but they aren’t passionate about God, either. Make sure to check their Spiritual Barometer before seeking counsel.

Most of all rely on God's Word to direct. if you are not clear and God is silent, do not make a move. Wait on Him and stay in prayer while reading Scripture.

Concentrate on the following Bible passages and ask the Holy Spirit to increase your understanding of God’s truth. Again I say wait on the Lord for clear direction. Over the last few days I have been just slowly dining on this all you can eat buffet of God's Word to help me sort out some thoughts.

Ephesians 4:17-21, NIV

“So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more. You, however, did not come to know Christ that way. Surely you heard of Him and were taught in Him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus.”

1 Peter 1:14-15, NIV

“As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do.”

Romans 12:2, NIV

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.”

James 1:22, NLT

“But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.”

Matthew 13:18-23, NIV

“Listen then to what the parable of the sower means. When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”

John 18:37, NIV

“In fact, for this reason I (Jesus) was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”

John 14:6, NIV

“Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’”

John 8:31-32, NIV

“Jesus said, ‘If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’”

John 16:13, NIV

“But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on His own; He will speak only what He hears, and He will tell you what is yet to come.”

Luke 11:34-36, NIV

Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness.  See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness. Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark, it will be completely lighted, as when the light of a lamp shines on you.”

Psalm 25:5, NLT

“Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.”

Psalm 26:3, NIV

“For your love is ever before me, and I walk continually in your truth.”

Psalm 40:11, NIV

“Do not withhold your mercy from me, O LORD; may your love and your truth always protect me.”

Psalm 86:11, NLT

“Teach me your ways, O Lord, that I may live according to your truth! Grant me purity of heart, so that I may honor you.”

John 3:21, NIV

“But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.”

1 Corinthians 13:6, NIV

“Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.”

I wish I could say that the decision making process is over for me. But I am more at peace knowing that I am seeking the direction in the right way, not moving slowly, but not making any decisions at all until God clearly speaks. I can see that in some of this wrestling match of decisions I was actually wrestling with myself. Now with me out of the way, Scripture, prayer and counsel have a better shot at getting into my heart and mind.

I have to say that I have preached this method to others and now it's time to practice what I preach.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment