Saturday, July 19, 2014

Gone With The Wind 7/19/2014

Good Morning,

My coffee this morning was chosen as a "comfort coffee". It seems that I twisted my knee a little bit yesterday and it kept me awake for most of the night. So I am sipping on a cup of Door County Christmas brew. It does nothing for my knee but it does help this pity party a little.

While looking at my knee last night I started to remember my younger days when jogging was fun and I could run like the wind. I spent many days running up steep hills along lake Michigan in preparation for football. But then the first of many knee surgeries took place after an injury. Those days of running and sports are over for sure. It doesn't take much to alter ones status. Gone with the wind!

We often see ourselves within the confines of our own abilities and accomplishments. These abilities and our accomplishments are like vapor. They can be gone with the next wind. Nothing Earthly will ever last. But they things we do for the Kingdom of God in the name of Jesus Christ will last for eternity. I would imagine that some day all the trophies that my wife and I have collected will end up in a trash heap or sold. Why would my family want to save my Little League trophy? They wouldn't!
God sees us as more than our Earthly talents and abilities. He sees us as being able to be used for greater things than just throwing a football or tackling some other helmeted grid iron warrior.

We need to enjoy our accomplishments and our talents. They are a gift from God. But they are only temporary. We must also concentrate on the eternal.  You can and should have an impact on the lives around you. You could and should support a missionary who brings the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a lost world. Our church supports a missionary and his wife who are living right in the middle of a hot mess in the Middle East. (Seems like a good place to be sharing Jesus and His love).

What treasure have you laid up in heaven? God keeps a trophy shelf for us all. He never tires of seeing what His children do in His name. Your report card is on His refrigerator.

Matthew 6:19-21New Living Translation (NLT)

Teaching about Money and Possessions

19 “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. 21 Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.

When starting out in an athletic area we are always advised to get a health evaluation first. My Doctor always checks my heart ( Just to see if I have one. LOL) to see if it is healthy for me to pursue my life as is.  Check your heart and see if it beats for God eternal? Check to see if you have a heart at all for Jesus.

Enjoy the day. It will be gone tonight!
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment