Saturday, October 7, 2023

A Candy Bar And My Word 10/7/2023

 Good Morning,

A day in the marsh hunting ducks is ahead of me and I will be drinking a hot cup of Door County Bourbon Pecan Pie Coffee in the duck blind. 

1John:2-5 But whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we know that we are in Him.

Proverbs 11:3 The integrity of the upright guides them , but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them. 

Yesterday I was blessed to officiate the wedding of a friend. During the rehearsal time on Thursday as most weddings do, there was a male ring bearer and a flower girl. The kids were about 5 years old. On Thursday  I told them if they did a good job of their wedding duties Friday that I would buy them a candy bar. It was ok with their parents so we were in good shape. 

Yesterday the wedding commenced and the two kids did exactly what was asked of them. I had forgotten about my promise of a reward to the kids. At the reception the young boy asked me if they did a good job. I then remembered my promise of a candy bar. I told him they did a great job and I would get that candy bar for them. I was still quite busy at the time. But keeping my word to those kids was important. The wedding reception was at a golf course and I knew there would be candy bars at the pro shop. My hunch was correct and I was able to purchase two Milky Way candy bars. I sought out the boy and his sister and delivered on my promise. I did tell them they had to wait for mom to tell them when it was ok to tackle that candy bar. The little boy shook my hand and said "thank you mister". I was impressed. 

My point for the day is this. We all need to keep our word when we make a deal or a promise. This is especially important with children. It is better not to promise than it is to promise and not deliver. Just because they are children isn't a reason to back out on a promise and not deliver what we promised.

When we keep our word with children, they remember it, We are to set the example of showing them that keeping our word is important and not keeping our word is wrong. 

Food for thought. 

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment