Saturday, June 10, 2023

One More Time 6/10/2023

 Good Morning,

The sun is coming up through the haze and I have two dogs at my feet while I write this morning. The haze is caused by wild fires in Canada and it is not as bad here as it is elsewhere in the United States. I just poured a hot cup of Door County Highlander Grog Coffee which I am truly enjoying. 

On Monday I will be assisting in performing a funeral for a dear friend. Our Senior Pastor and I will work together in honoring the life of a saint that has gone on to heaven. In the last couple of years our friend has been in an assisted living center. When I would call on him he would always want to know what I had been up to. He seemed to find my escapades and adventures entertaining. I have been attempting to make butter from scratch for many years and whenever I would attempt to make a new batch, something was always wrong with it. Each attempt has been a complete and utter failure. I once described my butter attempt as a batch that would best be used as motor oil. My friend and I laughed about that for a long time. He would often tell me that I should bottle my butter and sell it as multipurpose oil. 


The joke about my butter was always funny to the two of us. But my old friend would always say to me, " don't give up, give it another try." Never once did he say a discouraging word. He offered encouragement instead of shaming me. He was always the one to say "One more time might do it." In his loving way he also taught me to laugh at my mistakes. I had one batch that could easily be poured out instead of cut with a knife. My friend said to me that I was going to be rich for saving energy. I asked how that could be. He replied," Most people like to butter their popcorn and they have to melt the butter. Yours can be poured on to the popcorn without heating it." Again we laughed at my adventure into the butter business. 

Micah 7:8 Though I fall, I will rise again. 

I am struggling right now with what to say and do on Monday. I am thinking that emotions will run high within me and I might not be able to be much more than a blubbering idiot. I am sure if my friend could speak he would say something like "You can do it and just give it your best. It can't be any worse than your butter."!!!

Friends, be an encourager and offer a push along to those who need it. Their next attempt at something just might be the one that succeeds. Those who quit will never experience a win and now and then it is important to win one. So be that push in the back that sets them on a run to the finish line. You really can't fail if you don't quit. 

God bless,

Marty

1 comment: