Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Good Old Days Of Voices 7/12/2014

Good Morning,

This day has started bright and sunny. I was up very early and busy as usual. From where I am writing in the den I can smell the herbed chicken baking. My goal is to make a cold chicken salad for supper tonight. I just poured myself a cup Of Door County Jamaican Blue Mountain Blend Coffee. This one is very robust in flavor and is just what I needed to kick start this day. The picture below is one I took of a couple of old telephones that my wife has collected. We have actually had kids into our home that asked us to explain how they work. I laugh and tell them that those were the first cellular phones, but they were hard to wear on your belt or too heavy for purses. One kid still believes that they doubled as a conceal carry weapon. Argh!!!! They didn't fall for "the only way Adam and Eve could call for a pizza though.

Jeremiah 33:3New Living Translation (NLT)
Ask me and I will tell you remarkable secrets you do not know about things to come.


I don't know about you but I am old school. Todays versions of communication just about drive me on a short trip to insane. You call for service on anything or information and you are prompted to punch in numbers like 1 for a directory of languages to choose from, 2 for a directory of names, 3 for a call back, 4 if you want to wait 3 hours for someone to talk with you, and 5 if you want them to send Jimmy Johns with a sandwich while you wait. Then they just direct you to a computer and tell you to solve all your problems online, when it was the computer being broke that you were calling about.

Then the latest craze that needs to go is letting your fingers, especially your thumbs talk for you. It is hilarious watching two people text each other from across the room. Get up and walk your under exercised butt over the ten feet and talk. Texting is so impersonal, or instant messaging with abbreviations. It took me two years to figure out what LOL meant,  still trying to figure out IDK, I still don't know and don't care. TBT, BFF, now we speak in code. I hope I am already in heaven if God starts texting in code. I am pretty sure He won't. Not saying He couldn't but I have my doubts that He will send me a text with IDK.

There is nothing like hearing the voice of a loved one. We often hide behind text messages and emails and rob each other of the voice that is more of an emotional experience. I do save some cards and letters that have been written to me from time to time as treasures, but truly enjoy listening to a voice on the other end.

You know, God still speaks, and desires to answer us. We need to listen and we need to speak back.


1 Kings 19:11-13Living Bible (TLB)
11 “Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain; it was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind, there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake, there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire, there was the sound of a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his scarf and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.
And a voice said, “Why are you here, Elijah?”

Are you accessible to friends and family? Can it be more than a texting and email? Do you take time to listen to God and call on Him through prayer? Or have you put Him on hold? Does He have to go through layers and filters to reach you? When He does call on you do you answer IDK, NRN, ?

Have a great day! Call someone, it might make their whole day and yours better. If you have to go high tech do a video conference , but don't talk with your thumbs while doing it.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment