Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Inner Strength. 7/21/2015

Good Morning,

The day has begun and I look forward to seeing it through with gusto. I just poured a cup of Door County Red Velvet Mocha Coffee. I packed a lunch of nuts, mushrooms, and cheese for the day. My physician would be happy with my lunch. My stomach screams "where's the beef"?

"Inner Strength". I recently listened to the account of an American prisoner of war who was captured in Vietnam and how he and others endured  the inhumane treatment given to them at the hands of their captors. The meager portions of rice and fish guts that they ate daily were urinated on by their captors while the prisoners watched. They endured beatings and solitary confinement as well as hard labor.

I asked this man, "what kept you going"?  He replied. "All life is a gift from God, and like many gifts I have been given, I chose to make this one last as long as I could. I relied on inner strength that only God could have given me to carry on.". I replied "that is amazing". He smiled and said "I have to rely on that strength every day. I really needed it when I knew deep down inside that I would never heal unless I forgave my captors. I actually pray for them now. That was the hardest thing I ever had to do, until my son died recently. I needed that strength again." My next question was "where did you find that strength? " His answer was swift and to the point. "In God's word that I hold sacred. My captors took my Bible but God's word lived in my heart. They could not steal what I had memorized. This verse gave me inner peace and strength even during my beatings."

Philippians 4:13New International Version (NIV)
13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Do you need inner strength to go on today? Call out to Jesus and know because He strengthens us you will make it through.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment