Sunday, July 5, 2015

Mindset and Pork Loins 7/5/2015

Good Morning,

As I sit down to write this morning, I am enjoying a cup of Door County White Christmas Coffee. I am celebrating Christmas in July. No shopping, no presents, and no Christmas tree, just enjoying the thoughts of peace, love and joy. Those thoughts come from above.

Yesterday I started the process of smoking some pork loins, by mixing a marinade and basting the loins before refrigerating them for 24 hours. About three hours ago I started the smoking process in the dark of the morning with my trusty sidekick Gibbs and a cup of Christmas coffee.

Before the pork loins could go into the smoker I had prayer and some time was spent reading God's word. You see before I can face most days I have to make sure that my mind is in the right place. I do most of the preaching for our church's Saturday evening services. So, unless I miss Saturday's service or am needed on Sunday for some reason, I pretty much stay home and have my Sunday time with my wife or by myself. She works weekends at the medical center so she attends on Saturday nights with me. God before pork! In order to get my mind set on above I had to set my alarm clock for an early wake up. My time with in prayer and visiting with God was awesome.

Today I was filled with joy when a friend called at 6AM to explain that he would not be meeting me for some clay target practice. He missed church last night and our church went to one later service today with a picnic. This would not allow him the time to go and practice. He had to choose. He chose to go to church and not go shooting. This tells me he has the right mindset. The Lord comes first! God is number one in his life. This fella has had some tough times this last year and it seems that life sucker punches him too often. But he always finds some joy in the circumstances. He always serves the Lord with gladness.

How does he do it? How does he have the right "mindset' despite circumstances? How does church come before a morning out with the boys?

Ephesians 4:21-24New King James Version (NKJV)
21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, 23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.


Romans 12:1-2New King James Version (NKJV)

12 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God

These two Bible passages explain the "right mindset". My friend loves the Lord. God comes first in all things despite the circumstances. He does not struggle with choices. His body will honor the Lord in service. How does he and I renew our minds. Time spent with the Lord, learning to understand His ways, our weaknesses, and relying on Him to assist us through days when life is tough. Prayer, fasting and Bible reading are the key elements.

Romans 8:31New King James Version (NKJV)

31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?


Isaiah 40:30-31New King James Version (NKJV)
30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary,
And the young men shall utterly fall,
31 But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.
 
Why did I write this today? God told me to. I know there are others out and about today without purpose, struggling with life.  It is an attempt to reach those who are just thinking that life is not fair and need a push toward God.  Nothing else, but God carries us. Not hobbies, not the opposite sex, not money, nor will good times have the power to sustain us in our journey through life. These are all vapor and disappear with the wind. But God is faithful.
 
Have a blessed day and think this one over.
 
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment