Tuesday, November 1, 2022

I'm Gonna Miss That Guy 11/1/2022

 Good Morning,

The old Door County Autumn Spice Coffee is sitting very well with me today. The house has a chill in it and the coffee is warming me up and is soothing to my spirit as well.

Revelation 21:4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes, there shall be no more death, nor sorrow nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away. 


Yesterday our dear next door neighbor Eddie left this world and went to be with Jesus. Eddie suffered for a long time from his battle with ALS. He was a fighter all the way through this ordeal. Now here is what I can tell you about him. When Eddie and his wife Donna moved in next door I saw him in the driveway and went over to introduce myself. Pleasantries were exchanged as would be customary and as neighbors should do. The next day however I was able to share a cup of coffee with Eddie early in the morning as we talked in his garage. It was just a few minutes into the conversation when Eddie told me about his love for Jesus Christ and of him finding God a few years back. The garage conversations took place quite often and we talked about anything and everything under the sun. 

One day a few years ago I noticed that Eddie just looked different and that something wasn't right. It was then that we learned of his diagnosis of ALS. Eddie and Donna did everything the doctors told them to do and hope always sprung eternal with them. Eddie would try to attend Men's Bible study with me for as long as he could and now and then we we would get him to church for the Saturday night service. He loved going to church when he could.

Here is the last thing I want to tell you today. In all the visits we had over the years, and the pain Eddie was enduring, he worked from home long after many would have quit. He always had a smile for everyone when they greeted him. Most of all he never whined about his condition and the immense pain. He suffered with dignity and he never asked for anything except for me to cook him up some goose to eat. But what I will remember most about him was his desire to share his faith with me one early morning when we first met. Is your faith the first thing people learn about you? It should be. I believe it was his faith that helped Eddie to suffer in dignity and offer kind words to others even in his painful setting. I am gonna miss that guy and I look forward to seeing him again in heaven. Our sympathy is extended to Donna and his family. They are in our prayers. 

God bless,

Marty


2 comments: