Monday, November 29, 2021

Almost An Accident 11/28/21

 Good Morning,

My day is going to be different from the normal routine. I will be training a new hire for the company I work for. I am grateful that they feel I am able to train the "New Guy". So today I will share with him a hot cup of Door County breakfast Blend Coffee.

Proverbs 22:3 The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the fool goes on and suffers for it. 


Yesterday I was up early and I went outside with our two dogs. The back yard was populated with 4 rabbits. Once the dogs hit the grass the rabbits beat it in four different directions. Our older dog has given up on trying to catch a rabbit. But on the other hand our younger dog still sees the challenge and accepts it.  Leo our 2 year old hit the yard at full speed and his prey went for the closest fence panel and scooted underneath. The gap between the fence and the ground might be big enough for the rabbit to escape, but it is a definite road block to our Springer Spaniel.

Leo was going full bore and he is one of the fastest dogs I have ever owned. I saw it coming and before I could whistle him to stop he hit that fence like a runaway train. Kaboom! He bounced off of the fence and actually wobbled like a prize fighter hit by a right hook one that lands squarely on the chin. 

Leo was also startled and tried running to me. He came to where I was sitting at the picnic table. He tried jumping onto the platform which normally is an easy jump for him. He missed and banged himself again on the chest. I grabbed him and calmed him down. Looked him over and I just held him still for fifteen minutes. He seemed to be coming out of it and he wanted to go inside. Once inside he watered up and laid down on his bed. I checked on him every 30 minutes and within two hours he was back to normal. We kept him quiet for the rest of the day. He is doing fine. Just a few minutes ago I let the dogs out for their morning business and once more there were rabbits in the yard. Leo saw them and started after them. Half way to them he stopped the chase, knowing he made them run away.  He had learned a valuable lesson. 

Friends the point for the day is this. Make a mistake now and then, but learn not to repeat them. There is safety in doing so.

God bless.

Marty

2 comments:

  1. Dogs can teach us a few good things!
    This was a great read Marty. I'm happy that your pup is ok. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a wonderful dog to own. He is coming into his stride now in the field.

      Delete