Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Searching For Wisdom 9/22/2020

 Good Morning,

I am starting a little earlier today and the aroma of the Door County Caramel Apple Coffee coming up to my desk has me wanting to run down and get a second cup. It needs to wait. It is time to write. 


Proverbs 3:13:18 Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding, for the gain from her is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold. She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all he paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her; those who hold her fast are called blessed. 

The Bible has much to say about wisdom and the value of having it. At one time there were four Martin Schutte's in our family. You could say it was "Three Men And A boy". I learned a lot from my grandfather and my father. I did not learn much from my great grandfather directly, but I learned a few things indirectly via my grandfather. Through his death and me listening to my grandfather I learned how much he loved our great grandmother and his dying wish was that she be well taken care of by their sons. So I learned that family was important and a man has the responsibility to care for his wife even after he is gone. 

My grandfather taught me a lot especially about the value of keeping your word and the value of saving money. My dad also taught me a lot and he drilled into me, loyalty to our country, the flag, God and family.  All three of them valued school and especially hard work. 

Now, what I learned from them wasn't written in books and I could write a novel on what they taught me while I listened  to them. They placed great value on passing down knowledge to the next generation. The mistake I made was not taking advantage of spending more time learning from them and placing a higher value on what they were teaching me. Ah The folly of a boy and young man. I would love to be able to sit with them one more time just to learn what I missed by being young and foolish.

My point for the day. If you can still sit and listen to your elders, do so before you lose them. Their wisdom is something you can pass on to your children and grandchildren. Your ancestors are a gift from God. He uses them to teach us right from wrong, lessons for life and hopefully they will point you to Him.

Have a great day. Go see Mom, Dad, Grandma, or Grandpa. Go visit your kids or grandkids. Call them and pass on some wisdom.

Marty

13 


No comments:

Post a Comment