Friday, September 18, 2020

A Place At The Table 9/18/2020

 Good Morning, 

My day began with prayer and a large cup of Door County Autumn Spice Coffee. The weather is just right for me. I feel the cool air and I know that Fall is here. 

Titus 1:8 Be hospitable, a lover of good, self controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined.

We like to have people over for dinner and now with this Covid garbage those days are behind us for now. The entertaining of guests is sparse at best lately. Better days will come again! When I cook I always make more than we need. If our guests like the food on the menu we offer to let them take some of the abundance home with them. But most of all I make extra food just in case someone else would stop by unplanned. We just pull up an extra chair and set out a plate or two for the extra guests. I guess that was the way I was taught as a child. Even if the table is full of people, you figure out a way to make it work. No one should ever leave our home hungry. My habit or custom has received a comment or two throughout the years. "Who were you cooking for? An Army?" "Why did you make so much?" I just smile and laugh because I know I am just carrying on an old family tradition. 

Before I start cooking a meal I pray for our guests and any potential guests. I try to make things they will eat and will be comfortable with. While cooking I recall memories of family dinners when I was a child. Some of my cooking equipment or utensils are actually from my grandparents and parents. This tradition is deep within me. 

So I pass it on to all of you. Be hospitable. Never think of a surprise guest as an inconvenience. God knew they would grace your doorstep and that He could count on you to feed one of His children and make them feel welcome. 

LOL Food For Thought.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment