Friday, September 11, 2020

I Remember 9/11/2020

Good Morning,

It has been cold now for a few days and I feel blessed to be in a warm house with a cup of Door County Pumpkin Spice Coffee in front of me. A guy couldn't ask for a nicer way to sit and write.

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends. 



Today in the United States we will remember the day known as 9/11. The day terrorists hijacked airplanes and crashed into the World Trade Center and our Pentagon killing thousands. As I pondered that day it dawned on me that many of the college age kids weren't even alive on the fateful day. Some of those in their early twenty's can't recall the day that seemed like the world stopped.

They didn't watch first responders rush to the scene and also give their lives to save others. Police, fire, ambulances, medical personnel, and military teams did whatever it took to to assist. No one was sure if this was the last of the attacks or if more were coming. Music artists began writing songs of patriotism and in the carnage a United States Flag was was erected by fire fighters who were clearing and searching for bodies and those who might still be alive in the rubble. I wasn't alive during World War Two but my dad said the patriotism on and after 9/11 rivaled the feelings he experienced after Pearl Harbor was attacked on December 7th 1941. I visited Pearl harbor and never once thought about defacing the monuments there. I shed tears as I watched families still grieving their losses from that day and the ensuing years of war.

Flags flew high in many many yards and businesses. We all wondered when the United States would respond and put a boot in the rear end of the terrorists. Eventually we did.

But today we see people burning the flag, chanting death to the United States. They don't realize that this great country of freedom even allows for them to be free enough to do that. I feel those of my age and the parents of those who are feeling that this is the worst place in the world have failed in our duty to have taught patriotism and love for a land that houses the free and the brave.

If I could dream and build a time machine I would start free tours of Pearl Harbor December 7th 1941, and New York on 9/11/2001. I would offer to teach history classes once again to those who missed these events. I would show them men and women who gave it all for God and Country. And by country I mean their fellow man, woman, and child regardless of race gender or creed.

I would take them back to a day when prayer was allowed in the schools and the pledge of allegiance made you stand tall. We would go back to a time when the national anthem was sung and not just to announce the start of a sporting event and hats were off and hands were on hearts and everyone knew the words. We would tour some VA hospitals and grave sites across the sea and pay our respects, shut our mouths and stop chewing gum as we paid respect to those who fought that we might have streets to march on.

This country isn't perfect and needs to advance in it's strides for change. My wife and I aren't perfect either, but I love her and she loves me despite our imperfections. I feel the same way about my  country. But never will I denounce my God or my country. I will stand for the national anthem, and my flag will fly high. I will be thankful for those who have fought and for those who died for our freedom. I will thank those who serve in that capacity now. I will pray for this nation and for those who disagree with me.

Do you know why? It's because I remember!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment