Wednesday, December 18, 2019

When God Wants Groceries Delivered 12/18/2019

Good Morning,

I apologize for running late this morning. I was awake for most of the night and my sleep came at around 5 AM. My prayer time included lifting up some missionary friends that I am seriously praying for their safety. I however have treated myself to a large mug of Door County Jingle Bell Java Coffee and it is tasting very good right now.

Acts 20:35 In everything I did, I showed you that By this kind of work, remembering the words of Jesus. " It is more blessed to give than to receive."

I have a friend who prays a lot and God speaks to him now and then. Not long ago this friend was telling me that God laid a family on his heart who needed groceries, especially meat. Right after his encounter with God my friend has become very ill. Just before our Men's Ministry Bible Study started a Christmas break my friend called me while in great pain and reminded me of what God had told him, It was the last night of Bible study and he wanted me to mention to the guys of the need God had told him about. So I did as he requested and that night and a nice amount of cash was given to me by these prayerful men to purchase meat. Later in the week I was given more money and a large amount of meat that was already purchased for me to deliver. One of the men went home and mentioned the need to his wife. These two are people of action so it did not surprise me when the meat showed up at church. I made some more purchases and we were ready to deliver!

Last night my wife Rene and I had the privilege of delivering the groceries to this wonderful family. I told them how we came about the gifts and they were gracious and thankful. Both of us were very quiet on the way home and my thoughts went back to the 1960s when a young family was struggling to make a go of it. Times were tough and Christmas was coming. There was a knock on the door at this home one cold Saturday morning and the oldest boy who was in second grade at the time opened it to see 5 or six men standing outside. His dad invited them in. Behind them came more men loaded with groceries for the family. There was a Christmas ham and much much more. These men were from the local VFW where dad was a member.  The young boy was told that he should remember this and whenever the call came in his future and he was able to help someone he should remember this day and do whatever he can. He was also told that the men coming through the door were good men and it was a good idea to be a member of an organization where good men meet.

Friends, I will never forget that day for as long as I live. It was the first of two times when I saw my father shed tears.  Those men from the 60's captured the Essence Of Christmas. Last night a different bunch of men captured the Essence Of Christmas for a young family and the old man and his wife who delivered the goods. I not only saw a stirring of hearts, I knew God moved and spoke to my friend. This made Christmas beautiful. But I also got to relive a Christmas from a long time ago that means more to me today than it did on a cold day in December 1960 something. By the way, there was a Christmas ham delivered last night!

God bless,

Marty

1 comment:

  1. I fear all to many of us just take God's blessings for granted.

    ReplyDelete