Sunday, December 8, 2019

Singing And The Elderly 12/8/2019

Good Morning,

It sure is nice to be sitting here this morning with a big cup of Door County Spicy Nutcracker Coffee and the radio playing Christmas music softly in the background. I am blessed to be here.


Last night we held our annual Christmas Carols and Soup Night. My wife Rene let me know that we have been doing this now for twenty years. Where does time go? It was a huge success and well attended with over thirty people participating. The soups and all the "to go withs" were fantastic.

We went and sang Christmas Carols at two homes for the aged. The residents  enjoyed the music and the presentation of the Gospel message of Jesus. They also received a small bag filled with small gifts for them to use.  They truly appreciated the visit and the revelry. Many worked to bring this about and I want to thank all those who came and gave up a Saturday night to reach people with the Christmas Spirit. The soup and goodies they brought to accompany what we had prepared made the night beautiful.

The night has a huge impact on our home. A few folks helped Rene start the clean up process last night while I played taxi driver and drove a couple of people home. She chased her helpers home as they needed some rest. When I arrived home last night she was knee deep into the clean up process. I had been awake since the wee hours of yesterday and exhaustion was bearing down on me, I helped do what I could and it wasn't too much longer and  Rene was showing me the door to the bedroom and told me to get some rest. I quote her. "We will clean the rest up tomorrow." I walked into the kitchen this morning and everything had been restored and cleaned up. She worked at it until it was done.

I get a lot of credit for the things we do for our church and to be honest without this good woman behind me most everything wouldn't get done. She is the silent push behind all that we do. While we are out singing and bringing Christmas to those who are shut in, she is back at the house finishing the preparations for the feast. Rene has never once gone to sing and see the smiling faces. The gifts we take were all purchased and wrapped for us to take.

I believe you get the picture here. I might be the church elder and all too often I get  appreciated for the work she does. She doesn't like being spotted out for her efforts and hard work. But today I want to boast about my wife who I believe always captures the essence of Christmas. She is a woman that the Bible speaks of and I am so proud and happy to say that she joined me on the journey of life. Without her the old folks would have received gift cards to Walmart and pizza would have been delivered to our home.

Proverbs 31:26-31 English Standard Version (ESV)

26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
    and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women have done excellently,
    but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands,
    and let her works praise her in the gate

I am blessed to have my Christmas Elf with me and to be able to call her my wife and partner in the essence of Christmas.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment