Sunday, December 22, 2019

A Flag, A Package, The Essence Of Christmas 12/22/2019

Good Morning,

My day began quite awhile ago. Both of our dogs could hear the coyotes outside and they became a little nervous. Despite my reassurance of safety  they were awake and there was no return to the sound sleep I was enjoying. But that's life. Once the threat of harm was removed we spent a good 30 minutes outside. I can tell you this, my cup of Door County Spicy Nutcracker Coffee sure tasted good while I was sitting in the cold damp yard watching the dogs run around.

Luke 2:14 Glory to God in the highest heavens, and on Earth, peace to those on whom His favor rests.

I have been searching all month for people expressing the "Essence Of Christmas" . I have been blessed to see some real random acts of kindness. I have been the receiver of a cup of coffee that someone paid for and I did not even get a chance to thank them.



Yesterday was my turn to take the initiative to do such a thing. It wasn't planned but I found that it would be contagious. I had to make some copies at the local printing shop, which is also the place you would go to ship out a package or send overnight mail. Some people have packages sent there and they pick them up, because of people stealing packages from their porch. We call this "porch pirates" which will be a subject for another day. Argh!

There I was making my copies when all of a sudden the copy machine broke. There was only one customer service representative  (CSR)working in the store at that early hour. I started to wait patiently as he attended to another customer. This customer was clutching an American flag. The flag was folded in a manner that you just knew it had served to lay across a casket for an Armed Forces Veteran. It wasn't really folded correctly anymore. The customer was a lady I would guess to be a little older than my 62 years of age. She was small in stature. She explained to the CSR  that she needed to send the flag to her daughter in New York. The flag was from her husbands funeral who had served in our Air Force for thirty years. Her daughter was facing some critical and scary times within the next few days. She wanted her daughter to have something of her Dad's hoping it would provide some comfort. She asked the rep how much it would cost to get the flag to New York ASAP. The amount is not important. The CSR told her how much it would be and that he had just the right box for the job.  This little lady then said to go ahead and pack it up. By this time more customers had fallen into line. She also mentioned that she wished she knew how to properly fold the flag so her daughter would receive it as it was given to them at the funeral.

God was tugging at my heart to do something. He is all about the "Essence Of Christmas." I asked her if I could have the flag for a minute. I just happen to know how to fold one for presentation. The CSR came from behind the counter and said "It takes two and I know how to help". The flag was folded right and tight in the store and the place was dead silent as we folded our flag. Two people behind me saluted and then thanked this lady for her husbands service. I told the CSR on the side to tell her that the package bill was paid for. He nodded and said that the sturdy box and packaging that is normally charged for would be free. The CSR told this lady that her package would be on the next truck out. She started to pay the bill and she was told that the amount had been paid. Her eyes sprung a leak and she turned to everyone while shedding some sobs and tears and said. "Thank you. Merry Christmas Everyone." As she left, the crowd of about 6 or 7 applauded this widow, her love for her family, and her husbands sacrifice of service.

There must have been something wrong with the air in that place because everyone's eyes were leaking including mine. I believe the "Essence Of Christmas" is contagious. Go ahead friends and do whatever God shows you to do. He knows how to touch your heart.  I have not recovered from my contagious experience just yet. As I am writing  my eyes sprung leaks again. They are leaking! Because we all know, real men do not cry!

God bless,

Marty

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing.
    It was hard to type ... something wrong with my eyes and my nose is sniffing.

    ReplyDelete