Thursday, December 5, 2019

The House Is Decorated

Good Morning,

Might I say that it is a good morning whenever I can start it with prayer and a great cup of Door County Candy Cane Coffee.




Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince Of Peace.

I did start my prayer time with asking God to extend extra love on all of my family, friends and those who read this blog. Readers, even though we might never meet, you are family to me. So as I prayed I asked for someone to be sent by God to extend His love through them to you. Then I prayed for everyone to receive the wisdom they need for today's decisions. So to all, you are loved and appreciated. Thank you for sharing a moment of your life with me.

When Thanksgiving ends my wife Rene goes into Christmas mode with a fervor and passion. She is on a personal train ride in December so that each Christmas is memorable and possibly better than the one before. I looked around and every room in the house has been touched with decorations. The first thing that is placed in a prominent place is our very old Nativity scene. That one is all hers to do. She takes her time and places each figurine just where she wants it very year.

You could describe our home as "Country Style" nothing fancy but spotted everywhere by antiques and some are seasonal. Our Christmas tree is a collage of memories without any matching ornaments. It looks like a quilt that was made from many years of scraps and without rhyme or reason. Rene can tell you about the memory behind most all of the ornaments. Last night she was looking at the Christmas tree and she was perplexed. I avoided asking why she was distraught for as long as I could. But my curiosity gave in. She said "something is missing from the tree". Later she exclaimed "I know what it is. It's the ornaments you made to remember our champion dog Fritz." I made ornaments from pheasant feathers and shot gun shells one year. Soon after remembering, Rene appeared with two ornaments and insisted I place them on an already overloaded tree. But I did as requested and then she said. "You just had a fond memory didn't you?" I had just recalled Fritz and the 4000th bird he retrieved  and his first goose. There were tears in my eyes as I recalled my old trusty companion.

Rene later spoke to me and said "all that is missing from the house now are the people who will come through this month." This coming Saturday is an open house here and Christmas Caroling to the homes for the elderly. Afterwards there will be a soup and goodie dinner in our home. Rene has captured the essence of Christmas as she has done for a thousand years. It is all about honoring God and making the month of December special even during those years that are tough. She makes me look forward to next year and even though she transforms our house into something that looks like it belongs at the North pole with a hodge podge  of decorations. I watched her last night and as she was rearranging the ornaments I hung. I saw her look at one with a picture of her Dad. She smiled and walked away. She was having a fond memory and might I say that if anyone deserves to have one it is my Christmas Elf Rene. Make memories by sharing yourself and the love of God this December with others.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment