Friday, December 6, 2019

Christmas Is More Than A Holiday 12/6/2019

Good Morning,

I feel like I am ready to face today because of the solid prayer time I had earlier this morning and it doesn't hurt to have a hot cup of Door County Candy Cane Coffee next to me.

Matthew 1:23 "Behold the virgin shall be with child, and she shall bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel " which translated means "God with us"

As I write there are two tired Springer Spaniels surrounding my chair and they are both sound asleep. We had a very lengthy run time this morning. The forecast in weather next week is for a cold blast to hit us. The morning run times might be shortened a little due to the weather.  We will see.


Tomorrow night my wife Rene and I will host our annual Christmas Caroling event. Several people from our church will join us in bringing song, Scripture, and gifts to 2 homes for the elderly. Once that is finished the Christmas Revelers will return to our home for what I call a peasant supper of soup, chili and sandwiches. Coffee as well as hot chocolate will warm everyone as we visit and celebrate the night.

Visiting the old age homes seems to be a favorite thing to do around the holidays as well as visiting hospitals, especially the children's wings.  This is especially true of the Christmas Season. Today I want to make a suggestion with a little proof to back it up. Christmas isn't a holiday. It is a Choice of Life. Some of you may be slamming on the brakes right now screaming "Blasphemy" and wanting to pour my hot cup of coffee into my lap.

Let me explain my thoughts. One of the homes for the aged is located right next door to us. They are very quiet neighbors to say the least. A couple of the residents have lived there for several years. They are already looking forward to our visit tomorrow. But why should Christmas spawn an annual visit when each year contains 365 days to visit. Of course we can't sing and bring gifts every day but we can approach the thought of extending the Christmas spirit to being a life choice daily. Rene and I choose to try and make Christmas not just one day, but a way to live.

For instance each year we are blessed to harvest apples. Our elderly friends like apple pie or apple tarts and they gather together with their attendants and some of them bake during the week. One of their caregivers was watching us harvest the apples a few years ago and we askedcher if she would like some. She explained that the old folks would love to have some for baking. I told her that she could have all they needed and I would have them picked soon and I would bring them over to her. She asked if I would mind letting some of her residents help pick the apples they would be baking. Two of the residents came over and we all picked apples together. This has become an annual tradition. Rene delivers cut flowers from our garden to the home when the blossoms are raging.

Our two dogs are a daily attraction for the old folks and I see the residents peeking out of the windows whenever the two canine clowns are out training or playing. I walk the boys over now and then when I see my elderly neighbors sitting outside enjoying some fresh air. In return our dogs receive some left over cookies or donuts.

Last year at just about this time I had my two knee joints replaced and I couldn't stay put as instructed. As soon as Rene would go to work I would venture outside for a short walk assisted by a wheeled walker. Our aged neighbors noticed me out in the cold and that I had a disability. They asked their caregiver to check on me  and the next day fresh cookies were brought to me from the hearts of those folks.  This all started as a Christmas Event to make someone feel good. I am not sure if it was us that desired to have a warm fuzzy moment or if we wanted to extend one to people who for most of the time are shut in. But the essence of Christmas has stayed and has become a Choice Of Life. Yes we put away the nativity scene in January and the Christmas tree gets taken down, but shouldn't every day be like Christmas? And I ask you this. Why can't it be?

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment