Wednesday, January 6, 2016

When You Just Need To Listen 1/6/2016

Good Morning,

I believe my cup of Door County Jamaican Blue Mountain Blend Coffee was sent as a gift today. I don't need the caffeine to wake up. But the aroma is just out of this world nice to wake up to.

Last night we had an elders meeting at church. I arrived to the meeting late, due to a previous commitment to teach Bible study. The fellas were well into the meeting. Usually I have ideas to share or comments on the subjects at hand. But coming in late, I needed to catch up on the conversation and so It was most appropriate to listen. In order for me to listen and retain anything, I really need to be quiet. This is quite the opposite of my usual nature. About ten minutes into being there one of the pastors leaned over and asked me if I was ok? I guess my silence was sending the wrong message. I told him that I was fine but was taking it all in and thinking. During the rest of the meeting there were many good ideas expressed. Some I thought were better than others but what I was trying to do was to understand where each guy was coming from.  I felt it was important to try and see things from each page.

You know, to be silent and listen, in order to understand is ok to do. It actually is Biblical and is advised.

Proverbs 18:2New International Version (NIV)
Fools find no pleasure in understanding
    but delight in airing their own opinions
 
I know for myself that I need to do this more. I think that being a good listener is an art. By listening closely, you let the other people know that you value their opinions. I have some work to do!
 
Have a great day.
 
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment