Saturday, September 26, 2015

Something Was Missing 9/26/2015

Good Morning,

It looks to be a little dreary out there today. I am not seeing the sun shining yet. The fog might burn off later. I will admit my mind seems to be in tune with the weather. My mug was just filled with Door County Jamaican Blue Mountain Blend Coffee. Now the words can flow!

Last night was a beautiful night to take in a high school football game. So that was the plan, until Rene ended up on-call at work, so that ruled her out. I decided that my weekend and upcoming week will be very busy and I wouldn't get another chance to take in a game for quite awhile so I went to the game alone.



Off I went seat cushion in hand, to watch the local team our nephew played for last year. He has since moved on to college. Once I obtained my seat and started to look around, my mind flashed back to my "glory days" of high school football. Those couple of minutes were made up of very fond memories. Sweat, grass stains, bruises, and cheerleaders were all in the past. Once I recovered from my memory induce coma and returned to real life I realized that something was missing. My wife wasn't next to me for the game and old number "47" was not going to trot out on to the field. He had grown up and moved on. It was a great game and I could still clap and cheer for the local boys. But it just wasn't the same. I wasn't into the future. I had come looking for the past. Not a good idea.

Isaiah 43:18-19
“Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.

Team, we as Christians often will live in the past. We forget to move on, resting on our laurels from other days gone by. Each day, each year is a new one. If we always try to recreate or bring to mind the past great days of old we miss the opportunity to enjoy the moment and be part of new things God is doing.

The game was great and if I did not get out of the funk of past memories, which are cherished and will always be that way, I would have really not enjoyed an 80 yard interception return for a touchdown. That was a great one!!!

We all need to do the same. Enjoy good memories of the past! But don't be so caught up in it that you don't allow the present and future to also define you. God is at work and wishes for you to come along.

Have a great day. Don't miss it.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment