Friday, September 11, 2015

Decoy Poles And Love 9/11/2015

Good Morning,

Friday arrived in a hurry this week. I can't believe how fast it went. Now on to the weekend and whatever we are blessed to encounter. My mug is laced with contentment and filled with Door County Jamaican Me Crazy Coffee. One sip and I smiled, looked up, and said Amen!

Last night I came home from a meeting and proceeded to listen to Rene as she gave an account of her day. I like hearing about her adventures and what her day turned out to be. Then she looked at me and said "I had a little oops today". I said "your a little too young to start wearing Depends, lay off of the pork and beans". My humor was met with a stern look and a comment. "If only you were on television. Then I could turn you off." I decided to get serious and listen intently. "You know your decoy pole that you were planning on taking duck hunting? (This is used to retrieve decoys without a boat in deeper water than your waders can handle.) Well it probably won't  going with you. I kind of used it to pick apples and when I got it stuck, I pulled kind of hard and it actually broke. I am so sorry. Can you get a new one before your trip? I feel really bad."

Just by looking at her I knew she felt lousy. I will admit that I am fond of the pole and it has a lot of memories. But it can, and will be replaced. I might even be able to fix it. I said to Rene, "It's only a pole and I am sure I can get another." She then replied, "I know, but it was a Christmas gift many years ago. (Who would remember that?) I have seen you use it, talk about it, and repaint it every year."

I knew I had to refocus this discussion. I thanked her for the pole as a gift and said that I have enjoyed using it. But here's what is important. "You were picking those apples for my dad. You originally cared enough about me to buy me a gift that I wanted. You have the apples packed, the lawn mowed and the other apples that need to be thrown out all cleaned up.
Tomorrow will be the anniversary of a tragic attack on the  United States by terrorists. Many people will be mourning the loss of their loved ones in a day known as 9/11. On the scale of world events for that day on 9/11 and the world events of today, all I need to know is that you love me and you are here. The decoy retrieving pole is so unimportant compared to knowing other people hurt, you cared enough to do the chores I should have done, that you shouldn't be worried about it at all." She smiled and it was understood that we needed to stay focused on what is important. Remembering to hurt with others and bring cheer as needed is more important than possessions.

1 John 3:17-18   
But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.

Have a quiet day and thank someone for what they did for you. Pray for those grieving today. Appreciate whatever peace you can find. Tell someone you love them.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment