Monday, September 7, 2015

Howard, A Real Man 9/7/2015

Good Morning,

I am trying the next 24 hours without complaining. Yesterday went very well and I actually feel better physically. For those who are wondering what I am talking about. I used a twenty four hour challenge for us all to stop any complaining we do. I decided to extend it for another 24 when a friend of mine said he was going to try a week without complaints. 
My cup is filled with hot Door County Caramel Apple Coffee and I just finished a healthy bowl of Cream of Wheat Cereal. I am practicing for winter!

Ephesians 5:25New King James Version (NKJV)
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,

Real men love Jesus. Real men love their wives. I have many friends that fit into this category. They love Jesus and they love their wives. I am going to take a moment to tell you about my friend Howard. You see Howard just said goodbye to his dear wife Mary recently. She went on to be with Our Lord and is safe from all pain and sorrow. They were married for 57 years.

I met Howard and Mary a long time ago through their daughter. It was soon after meeting them that Mary had a stroke and started to slowly move toward more and more of a disability. For quite a few years she was confined to a wheelchair and need more and more care. Howard was always right there for her. She always looked neat and clean. We all know that it took a lot of work on Howard's part to take care of her. When it became time to seek assisted living for Mary as Howard's age and Mary's deteriorating conditions made it impossible for Howard to care for her in the way she needed he made the hard decision to move her. Unless he was ill, Howard did not miss a day of seeing her at her new residence. Mary would phone him a few times a day just to chat.  Howard made sure that Mary did not miss too many social activities such as church and other gatherings. He would pick Mary up, pack her into the van safely and bring her to be with everyone. There were many times that Howard ate cold food, after he helped Mary with hers.

Last Saturday night a bunch of us went out to eat after church. It was the first time Howard went without Mary. You could see it in his eyes that he was missing her passionately. Yet he went form person to person smiling and chatting making sure we were all enjoying ourselves. Once again, he was taking care of others first.  We all looked at the end seat where Mary would have been sitting with her wheelchair, and none of us said a word. I knew what many of us were thinking. We missed Mary and knew it had to be hard on Howard. But here's the point. Men! Love your wives. If they go on to be with the Lord before you, make sure they know they were loved by word and deed every day. Then honor them by going on in strength from the Lord. If you go before them, make sure they know they were loved in word and deed.  It will be the one comfort you can leave then that no one can take away. I do not know what the future holds for Rene and I. But I know I want to be an example like Howard is to all of us.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment