Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Repurposing A Door Knob 9/8/2015

Good Morning,

Tuesday is the start to my work week and then it's back to the weekend. You just can't ask for more! My mug is filled with Door County Apple Cobbler Coffee. My lunch is packed with fresh tomatoes and Wisconsin cheese. I am already looking forward to lunch.




Last night I started a labor of love. I am repurposing an antique piece of wooden trim and adding an antique door knob to it. When I am done it will be a robe hanger. Our daughter was visiting not too long ago and we were showing her how her son and I worked on a few pieces together over the last couple of summers. She liked what she saw and asked if I would make her one. I of course wanted to make her one before she even asked. She is my baby girl. I will post a picture of the finished product in November. Maybe sooner!
Well last night was the night to begin. I started the process by heating the wooden trim piece with a heat gun and then scraping the old paint off. Much to my surprise there was layer upon layer of old paint on that piece. When I finally got down to the stripped wood I found several old dents and deep gouges in the wood. Working with antiques from time to time, I expected to find a few imperfections.  I had to get out the wood filler and glue. Once I started that process I had to stop and wait a few days for everything to dry. When I am finished I am hoping that the wood will look as good as new. The only thing that can really go wrong is if I get lazy and don't complete the task. I want to bring this to Kristy in December. This project will take some time and I need to keep at it.


Philippians 1:1-7 New King James Version (NKJV)
Paul and Timothy, bondservants of Jesus Christ,
To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, with the bishops[a] and deacons:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy, for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;

Like a carpenter with a project to finish, God keeps working on us until we are complete. He restores our souls through His Son Jesus Christ and then has the Holy Spirit teach us and polish us. You might not be where you want to be in your Christian walk, but you aren't where you used to be either. "Unsaved". Once you invited the Savior in, the work began. God is faithful and will see it through.
God is now repurposing you into a tool He can use for the betterment of His Kingdom. So don't quit on yourself. Like the piece of wood was in need of some heat, sanding and glue, God works out all the rough spots in us.

There are different types of wood and some are harder than others. A knot in the middle of a piece of lumber is harder to sand or cut. Some people have hard knots in their minds and hearts. Their brains stand in the way of God doing His work and they fight the Carpenter. Their Christian growth is slowed because of their own stubbornness. Then the Carpenter has to use power tools instead of sanding gently by hand. God sometimes has to correct our stubbornness and it hurts. But He is going to complete what He started in us, despite us.

Be patient. God is not done with you yet!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment