Monday, September 28, 2015

Ken Vincent. World War Two Veteran Goes To Church 9/28/15

Good Morning,

I can smell the Door County Cherry Crème Coffee brewing in the kitchen. What a way to wake up! I believe when God created the coffee bean He was thinking of me.

Psalm 84:10New King James Version (NKJV)
10 For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
Than dwell in the tents of wickedness.

Yesterday I experienced the privilege of giving a ride to an older buddy of mine so he could get to church. Ken Vincent a veteran of World War Two, former school teacher, husband, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather, rode with me to church. Ken now lives in an assisted living facility, and between us church members and his family Ken receives a ride so he can attend church. He is 93 now and it is hard for me to picture this kind old gentleman, as one of the tough guys who fought in the Battle of the Bulge. As we ride together Ken teaches me things that he learned during the war and tells me of his experiences. He talks about his wife who passed on earlier in life and how much he misses her. Ken tells me about how much he loved teaching and how hard it became toward the end of his career, when teachers started having less authority. Ken keeps red pepper flakes with him so he can spice up the food where he lives. " The hotter the better" says Ken.  I said I couldn't imagine Ken just by looking at him, that he survived the Battle of The Bulge. But as you get to know him you can see he is one tough guy. He fought in the war, came home and married his childhood sweetheart, fathered some great kids, taught in public schools, buried his wife and still gets to church! That is one tough guy. He could be one of those who say "I have done enough, let the church come to me." Not Ken, he has his priorities straight. Yesterday he thanked me for the ride. I should have thanked him instead. He inspired me all the way to and from church.  I was glad to be there! I think we can all learn from this veteran!

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment